LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    surfrider is the worst.they get a free pass.it's like it's a crime to say anything bad about surfrider.they take your money,you display their stickers,license plate frames,and they do nothing for new jersey or hatteras,ever,not once.they don't protect our waves.

There are some good local chapters still though.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    the first large-scale beach replenishment OCNJ did ('92-'93ish), they stopped for the winter just south of 14th street & created an absolutely amazing lefthand point...even my dad was stoked on it, & he's a regularfoot! being goofy, it did amazing things for my surfing; i just wish i hadn't been so new to surfing...i didn't have the ability to really take advantage of the happy accident.
    hmmm - doesnt the current OCNJ plan stop at 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    as for "the end of surfing in nj", that's bs. it's sand. yes, leaving it be or making a serious attempt to match grain size w/ grain size would be better, but it's SAND, people. it moves, gets blown around by the wind, washes in & out w/ the tide...the bars, banks, & breaks will be back. in the mean time, go explore. go look at spots you normally wouldn't; you might be pleasantly surprised. i have been, & frequently, this winter.
    Wondering how long have you been surfing for? If you know anything about the original replenishment project in the late 90s/early 2000s it completely destroyed surfing for 2-3 years in the spots it occurred at- it destroyed the bars and jetty breaks and it became big shorebreak. Luckily they did sections at a time though, so when Long Branch to Sea Bright was destroyed everyone went further south. When Asbury to Spring Lake was done everyone went further south or north. Now they are talking about one giant project at the same time from Sandy Hook to Barnegat, courtesy of the federal government.
    If you are plesantly surprised this winter, that's great. NJ is breaking better than it has in 15 years. Most NJ pros will say the same thing- spots are back that haven't worked in a long time. That's from a little thing called Sandy. That will be over once this project happens.

We need to get off high horse. It took mother nature 6 hours to destroy what it took man decades to control. With the predicted hurricanes this season it will most likely be a spit in the ocean. Use the money for dunes and such. Just my two pennies.

Images
    I love pissing into the wind because I get piss like all over myself. The best is when the piss sprays on my lips and face because it makes me feel smart like an engineer.

Let the beach back in naturally and stop people from rebuilding homes on the ocean. Let them collect the insurance money and buy the lot from them and make it public preserved beach land My 2 cents.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Let the beach back in naturally and stop people from rebuilding homes on the ocean. Let them collect the insurance money and buy the lot from them and make it public preserved beach land My 2 cents.
    Exactly! Pretty f*cking simple. Nature wins every time so respect it's power, back off and back up! Anything other then adjusting our ocean front boundaries and compromising by getting the f*ck out of the way is futile.

Nags Head did a beach renourishment two summers ago, It destroyed all the sand bars but the spots they started early in the summer had a wave by the end of the summer early fall. It made for a summer full of shorepound but the bars came back

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    hmmm - doesnt the current OCNJ plan stop at 14th?
    yes, but in the early 90's, they just stopped...no tapering, nothing. one street had 100yds of beach, the next one had water under the boardwalk. it was very abrupt & i doubt that'll happen this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Wondering how long have you been surfing for? If you know anything about the original replenishment project in the late 90s/early 2000s it completely destroyed surfing for 2-3 years in the spots it occurred at- it destroyed the bars and jetty breaks and it became big shorebreak. Luckily they did sections at a time though, so when Long Branch to Sea Bright was destroyed everyone went further south. When Asbury to Spring Lake was done everyone went further south or north. Now they are talking about one giant project at the same time from Sandy Hook to Barnegat, courtesy of the federal government.
    If you are plesantly surprised this winter, that's great. NJ is breaking better than it has in 15 years. Most NJ pros will say the same thing- spots are back that haven't worked in a long time. That's from a little thing called Sandy. That will be over once this project happens.
    for more than 20 years, bud.
    clearly the way they "engineer" the beaches up in monmouth is different than how they do it down here in cape may county.
    BUT...the simple truth of my statement is proven by yours...& i think you're exaggerating about the 2-3 years. all storms relocate sand, calm summer waves push it back in (if you survey the same beach in the winter & in the summer, the slope won't be the same...beaches are steeper in the winter & flatter in the summer). that's the way it works. i can understand being upset about beach replenishment b/c of the recurring outlandish expense or the fact that it destroys complex intertidal ecosystems..those are valid concerns. but b/c it "destroys" a beach break? it'll be back; it always comes back.