LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    4/3 in NY this weekend?

    the water is about 45. do you think i could get away with a 4/3?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    151
    I was thinking about it. I was hot in a 5 mil last weekend. Depends on wind, weather, etc.

  3. #3
    definitely

  4. #4
    A 4/3 in 45 degree water?

    I have to crack up laughing at this. I wear a 5mm in 60 degree water and I'm perfectly comfortable.

    Are the people that go on this site as fat as a walrus? I mean seriously. I quit in late november at the latest. If the air temp drops below 50 I start shivering violently after an hour in a brand spanking new 5mm that fits like a glove. I hate being cold. Takes all the enjoyment out of it. I also don't understand how people could enjoy swimming/wading w/o a wetsuit in these freezing cold waters in June around here. Maybe I belong in the tropics. lol

    Really don't understand how someone could possibly be warm with air temps in the 20's and water temps in the 30's in a 6mm suit. I do get cold easy, but still I remember when I first started snowboarding I would sweat like hell and had to cut down on my layers. Surf shop salesman up here basically give the same crap advice about wetsuit thickness. I also notice in the water what many people are wearing is far thicker than what the surf shops/online forums recommend.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    A 4/3 in 45 degree water?

    I have to crack up laughing at this. I wear a 5mm in 60 degree water and I'm perfectly comfortable.

    Are the people that go on this site as fat as a walrus? I mean seriously. I quit in late november at the latest. If the air temp drops below 50 I start shivering violently after an hour in a brand spanking new 5mm that fits like a glove. I hate being cold. Takes all the enjoyment out of it. I also don't understand how people could enjoy swimming/wading w/o a wetsuit in these freezing cold waters in June around here. Maybe I belong in the tropics. lol

    Really don't understand how someone could possibly be warm with air temps in the 20's and water temps in the 30's in a 6mm suit. I do get cold easy, but still I remember when I first started snowboarding I would sweat like hell and had to cut down on my layers. Surf shop salesman up here basically give the same crap advice about wetsuit thickness. I also notice in the water what many people are wearing is far thicker than what the surf shops/online forums recommend.
    Are you sure your a real surfer?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSurfing View Post
    Are you sure your a real surfer?
    #1 It's YOU'RE....YOU ARE....YOUR indicates possession. 5th grade grammar.

    Surfing(95% of world surfing population) is mainly a tropical activity or water temps above 50(southern to central cali to Australia)

    I don't surf. Check my profile. lol

    You do realize their are people that never even surf cold water right? People in Florida complain when it's 55 degrees outside about how cold it is. I don't understand what being cold has to do with being "tough" or a "surfer" There's nothing "tough" about being cold and miserable. Do you ski killington nude in january to show how "core" you are. I HATE being cold. When the snow starts falling....it's not time to surf. Get a snowboard or a pair of ski's and shred some pow. haha For me anyway. If you can manage to truly be comfortable in january in the northeast than all the better to you mr. polar bear, but all I can tell you is how I feel in those type of conditions.

    When/IF you shiver that is dangerous as it is the first sign of hypothermia. Never mind the fact that it is miserable. I've seen multiple people shivering/teeth chattering in the water saying how warm they are.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    #1 It's YOU'RE....YOU ARE....YOUR indicates possession. 5th grade grammar.

    Surfing(95% of world surfing population) is mainly a tropical activity or water temps above 50(southern to central cali to Australia)

    I don't surf. Check my profile. lol

    You do realize their are people that never even surf cold water right? People in Florida complain when it's 55 degrees outside about how cold it is. I don't understand what being cold has to do with being "tough" or a "surfer" There's nothing "tough" about being cold and miserable. Do you ski killington nude in january to show how "core" you are. I HATE being cold. When the snow starts falling....it's not time to surf. Get a snowboard or a pair of ski's and shred some pow. haha For me anyway. If you can manage to truly be comfortable in january in the northeast than all the better to you mr. polar bear, but all I can tell you is how I feel in those type of conditions.

    When/IF you shiver that is dangerous as it is the first sign of hypothermia. Never mind the fact that it is miserable. I've seen multiple people shivering/teeth chattering in the water saying how warm they are.
    Not to be a **** or nothing, but you also misused the word "their." I think you meant to use "there."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    #1 It's YOU'RE....YOU ARE....YOUR indicates possession. 5th grade grammar.

    Surfing(95% of world surfing population) is mainly a tropical activity or water temps above 50(southern to central cali to Australia)

    I don't surf. Check my profile. lol

    You do realize their are people that never even surf cold water right? People in Florida complain when it's 55 degrees outside about how cold it is. I don't understand what being cold has to do with being "tough" or a "surfer" There's nothing "tough" about being cold and miserable. Do you ski killington nude in january to show how "core" you are. I HATE being cold. When the snow starts falling....it's not time to surf. Get a snowboard or a pair of ski's and shred some pow. haha For me anyway. If you can manage to truly be comfortable in january in the northeast than all the better to you mr. polar bear, but all I can tell you is how I feel in those type of conditions.

    When/IF you shiver that is dangerous as it is the first sign of hypothermia. Never mind the fact that it is miserable. I've seen multiple people shivering/teeth chattering in the water saying how warm they are.
    Im talking about the dedication factor of being a surfer!! If you don't like the cold then move.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSurfing View Post
    Im talking about the dedication factor of being a surfer!! If you don't like the cold then move.
    This has nothing to do with dedication. Obviously winter surfing takes dedication. IT'S BRUTAL!

    I'm talking about shedding rubber for no good reason and using less thick wetsuits rather than trying to be comfortable. I mean why use a 4/3 in 45 degree water? Or go hoodless or without boots or trying using a 3/2 in 40 degree water or going without a wetsuit in 58 degree water(numerous threads I've seen on here). How is being freezing needlessly "dedication"??? It's like not wearing a hat while snowboarding in the middle of January and the saying that's dedication. No that's stupidity. lol

    If you're truly comfy, that's different. I know everyone has different tolerance. But Everyone is always talking on here about sweating in the water. I've never sweated in the water. Sounds to me like macho stupidity and that their just lying. Sort of like people bragging about how it's not too bad in Minnesota when it's 30 below. Their trying to sound immune to the cold. They can "take" it.

    I've honestly NEVER been hot in RI waters. Ever. It only averages one day above 90 degrees at the beach a year and usually no waves on that day. Water temp never really gets past 70. Some kind of wet suit is basically required year round for comfort. Can you trunk it? Of course. I just don't find it comfortable. If you're out in the morning in dead of summer, air temps are usually in the mid 60s in the hottest time of year and water temps in the upper 60s. Not exactly tropical.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 17, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    #1 it's you're....you are....your indicates possession. 5th grade grammar.

    Surfing(95% of world surfing population) is mainly a tropical activity or water temps above 50(southern to central cali to australia)

    i don't surf. Check my profile. Lol

    you do realize their are people that never even surf cold water right? People in florida complain when it's 55 degrees outside about how cold it is. I don't understand what being cold has to do with being "tough" or a "surfer" there's nothing "tough" about being cold and miserable. Do you ski killington nude in january to show how "core" you are. I hate being cold. When the snow starts falling....it's not time to surf. Get a snowboard or a pair of ski's and shred some pow. Haha for me anyway. If you can manage to truly be comfortable in january in the northeast than all the better to you mr. Polar bear, but all i can tell you is how i feel in those type of conditions.

    When/if you shiver that is dangerous as it is the first sign of hypothermia. Never mind the fact that it is miserable. I've seen multiple people shivering/teeth chattering in the water saying how warm they are.
    "you are" a vagina