LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

4/3 in NY this weekend?

the water is about 45. do you think i could get away with a 4/3?

I was thinking about it. I was hot in a 5 mil last weekend. Depends on wind, weather, etc.

definitely

A 4/3 in 45 degree water?

I have to crack up laughing at this. I wear a 5mm in 60 degree water and I'm perfectly comfortable.

Are the people that go on this site as fat as a walrus? I mean seriously. I quit in late november at the latest. If the air temp drops below 50 I start shivering violently after an hour in a brand spanking new 5mm that fits like a glove. I hate being cold. Takes all the enjoyment out of it. I also don't understand how people could enjoy swimming/wading w/o a wetsuit in these freezing cold waters in June around here. Maybe I belong in the tropics. lol

Really don't understand how someone could possibly be warm with air temps in the 20's and water temps in the 30's in a 6mm suit. I do get cold easy, but still I remember when I first started snowboarding I would sweat like hell and had to cut down on my layers. Surf shop salesman up here basically give the same crap advice about wetsuit thickness. I also notice in the water what many people are wearing is far thicker than what the surf shops/online forums recommend.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Yes, right before I paddled out last Sat. in NJ my winter 6/5/4 neck seam opened up like 4 inches. I figured I wouldn't last long with 45įf water. But I was too hot!

Switching to the 4/3 - an F-bomb and super warm, but a 4/3.

4/3 is fine, keep your winter booties/gloves on though. I switched over the weekend before last.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSurfing View Post
    the water is about 45. do you think i could get away with a 4/3?
    Yes if its sunny and warmish. I wore a 4/3 w a hooded vest under. I was hot at times. But my head got cold when i pulled my hood off in the water. On long island.
    Last edited by MFitz73; Apr 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Location

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post

I have to crack up laughing at this. I wear a 5mm in 60 degree water and I'm perfectly comfortable.

Are the people that go on this site as fat as a walrus? I mean seriously. I quit in late november at the latest. If the air temp drops below 50 I start shivering violently after an hour in a brand spanking new 5mm that fits like a glove. I hate being cold. Takes all the enjoyment out of it. I also don't understand how people could enjoy swimming/wading w/o a wetsuit in these freezing cold waters in June around here. Maybe I belong in the tropics. lol

Really don't understand how someone could possibly be warm with air temps in the 20's and water temps in the 30's in a 6mm suit. I do get cold easy, but still I remember when I first started snowboarding I would sweat like hell and had to cut down on my layers. Surf shop salesman up here basically give the same crap advice about wetsuit thickness. I also notice in the water what many people are wearing is far thicker than what the surf shops/online forums recommend.
    Are you sure your a real surfer?

dude 4/3 all winter

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post

i wear a 4/3 with a hooded shirt year round... if you're cold enough to wear a 5mil in 60 degree water you have a problem