LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    They had a fatality with a windsurfer recently. feb 2010. Bull shark attack. Bull sharks are not even close to being endangered and should be culled to cut down risk for people. Also, what's called a "minor" shark attack just means they didn't lose the limb. Sometimes it's just a few stitches, but still a horrific bite can happen. It's all relative. Most attacks in FL are mostly blacktips. FL isn't nearly as dangerous as Australia/south africa/northern Ca obviously. When a bull gets involved that's when it gets serious relatively speaking for Florida.

Maybe you stop at 10 feet, but I paddle into 50 foot mavericks with a skim board.
    Not complaining about wave size here either, but you can't compare swell consistency between fl and ca. Just check the surf cams and buoys. It's not even close dude. It's like comparing average snowfall between buffalo, ny and washington d.c.

Lows go west to east across the ocean. We are on the wrong side of the Atlantic for swell generation.
    Good job using Google, That attack was in Martin County (Stuart), not New Smyrna Beach, the 235 bite location you mentioned. And that was the 1st EVER fatality in Martin County, and only 14 in the entire state of Florida's history. But we're splitting hairs here. In 2012 there were 7 fatal shark attacks across the world, none of them occurred in the US...

I'd love to see your GoPro video dropping in on those 50 footers on a skimboard, that's so gnarly even NJShredder would be jelous.

Lastly, I only said that the E. Coast had plenty of swell in response to your claim that this is the "wrong coast" and didn't compare it to the W. Coast, I believe that was you that forged that argument my friend.

All that being said, i'm blessed to live in such a great place that has water all around me and waves often enough to keep me satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post

Lastly, I only said that the E. Coast had plenty of swell in response to your claim that this is the "wrong coast" and didn't compare it to the W. Coast, I believe that was you that forged that argument my friend.
    Well obviously when I said wrong coast I was comparing it to the other coast! haha Not saying ec can't be epic. Just saying I'm driven nuts by flat spells here that those lucky bastards on the other side don't have.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 17, 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Well obviously when I said wrong coast I was comparing it to the other coast! haha Not saying ec can't be epic. Just saying I'm driven nuts by flat spells here that those lucky bastards on the other side don't have.
    I feel you, and my message to you is to get the best suit available w/gloves, hood, and boots and surf year round. Do that and you won't care about a little flat spell in the summer when you were able to surf the past 6 months on the regular. Or don't, i'm sure your neighbors won't mind the empty lineup. And we're back full circle hahaha

I feel you, and my message to you is to get the best suit available w/gloves, hood, and boots and surf year round. Do that and you won't care about a little flat spell in the summer when you were able to surf the past 6 months on the regular. Or don't, i'm sure your neighbors won't mind the empty lineup. And we're back full circle hahaha
    Let me complete the circle. I was shivering last thanksgiving after a little over an hour with 48 degree water and air temps in the mid 50s with a 5mm on and gloves and 3mm fin socks, and a hood. Epic day for sure though. A couple feet overhead and not closing out. Maybe I need a heated vest. lol Or a dive suit? haha

Let me complete the circle. I was shivering last thanksgiving with 48 degree water and air temps in the mid 50s with a 5mm on and gloves and 3mm fin socks, and a hood. Epic day for sure though. A couple feet overhead and not closing out. Maybe I need a heated vest. lol Or a dive suit? haha
    What about a 6/5/4 suit? Some people actually do put a vest on underneath it all, might be worth the investment. I don't sponge, but they might make thicker fin socks too. Moral of the story, do what you gotta do if you really want to be in the water year round. I know sh*t cost money, so if it's not in the cards it's not in the cards, but if it were me i'd sell plasma to get waves.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I've just recently fully committed to the sport though live on the coast in New England and have been out on the water 3-6 days a week for the last 2+ months. I switched from a 6/5 with hood to a 4/3 no hood just over a month ago. Granted the weather and water is getting warmer by the week, though I have felt great since moving to the 4/3. That includes last Friday late afternoon/evening which was freezing rain and air temps of 33-37 and water temp of 41. I happen to be three quarters of a nutball though and between adrenaline, focus on dynamic environment, and constant physical activity in the water, I felt fine for a 90 minute session eating ice rain to the face and duck diving through chop. I'm just about the only one out there with no hood (or hood pulled off) even on these very nice days recently.

I was wearing the 6/5 with hood in the winter when air was as low as 19 and water 36, through Nemo and the other storms. Honestly, the hood feels like it sucks water in and washes me out even when the cord is pulled tight. Not like I'd prefer going sans hood on those arctic days and storms, but cold is cold. Side note: the 6/5 is MUCH more restrictive than the 4/3 in my opinion, though I don't mind that because of the increased caloric expenditure resulting from biomechanical impediment. Between that and the enhanced energy usage in the cold, I've got pretty lean from my sessions this past winter.

The irony is that prior to embracing the sport, I was quite averse to ocean water even in the summer in New England due to the cold temps of the water well into the summer. It's amazing what enthusiasm, passion, and desire can do for letting go of external uncontrollables and keeping focused on the privilege of the experience and tasks at hand to improve on.

Just today, I had a buddy on the water with me for his 2nd surf ever and I let him wear my boots. I was basically barefoot wearing only those Speedo water socks and my feet felt like ice blocks but I was out there with him intermittently for the majority of 4+ hours in 58 degree air and 42 degree water. Yes, my feet were cold as a mother but I accepted it as a fact of life and had fun while blocking it out until I had to go in the truck to warm the feet a couple times.

No one's making us go out there on days we don't want to be out there, and we won't get anything out of being out there when we don't truly want to be. By no means am I saying every surfer needs to or should be out there in any and all conditions, as this sport is what we want and make of it. It's a great thing there is equipment and gear for nearly all conditions.
    This guy has the right attitude Shark-Hunter, this is what i'm talking about. He's brand new to this sport and already has the right idea. Although I don't recommend lending your boots / fin socks to your buddy and chance frostbite, other than that, dude's stoked!

What about a 6/5/4 suit? Some people actually do put a vest on underneath it all, might be worth the investment. I don't sponge, but they might make thicker fin socks too. Moral of the story, do what you gotta do if you really want to be in the water year round. I know sh*t cost money, so if it's not in the cards it's not in the cards, but if it were me i'd sell plasma to get waves.
    My feet weren't cold at all. My hands a little cold with 3 mm gloves. But absolutely not loosing feeling or anything like that. It was absolutely my core that got cold and I notice I'm cold before even getting wet if air temp is less than 50.

Let me complete the circle. I was shivering last thanksgiving after a little over an hour with 48 degree water and air temps in the mid 50s with a 5mm on and gloves and 3mm fin socks, and a hood. Epic day for sure though. A couple feet overhead and not closing out. Maybe I need a heated vest. lol Or a dive suit? haha
    damn, man i think you need to put on some weight ....freezing in 50 degree water with a 5 mil on??? Thank god, i don't have that problem...holy hell, i'd never surf.

This guy has the right attitude Shark-Hunter, this is what i'm talking about. He's brand new to this sport and already has the right idea. Although I don't recommend lending your boots / fin socks to your buddy and chance frostbite, other than that, dude's stoked!
    "I don't mind that because of the increased caloric expenditure resulting from biomechanical impediment. Between that and the enhanced energy usage in the cold, I've got pretty lean from my sessions this past winter."

That dude trips me out man, I donít think heís from around these parts. He might be one them UFOs!

. . .i'm not padding into anything over 10ft and neither are you . . .
    Don't knock it 'till you try it, I ain't never gonna charge Mavs or 3rd reef Pipe, but when the little man is green and thereís a line or two over his head, well sir, you know where Iíll be and thatís where the waves are ; ) You never know what you're capable of until you do it.

Come out to SoCal man, it kind of sounds like you've never been out here. I got a board I can loan ya. I like Florida ('cept for the Skeeters) and the East Coast is just fine, but there's a reason I reside here and it ain't the high cost of living or to be close to my in-laws. I live out here cause of the surf, everything else you can find somewhere else for cheaper, except for maybe California Burritos. I hear you can even get an In-N-Out Burger in Dallas these days. That's only a 6 hour drive from my place in Austin, which based on their logistical model says theyíll be down there soon nuff. Sadly, I have yet to find a decent breakfast taco or Texas style BBQ joint out here. Man, I am jonesin' for some good brisket.

On another note, my little sister got nibbled by a baby shark surfin off Pack Channel back bout 03 or 04. Nearly took off half her left hand. She's a nurse, probably would've ruined her career if they hadn't been able to stitch her back up. I think it took her bout 6 months of rehab and she's missing a good chunk of her pinky. Even a "minor" shark bite ain't nuthin to sneeze at.

. . .Typical modern lunatic fringe conservationist B.S.
    Maybe I'm misunderstandin where you're goin here, but I'm an avid fisherman and hunter and as such Iím into conservation. Sharks are in serious trouble worldwide (admittedly not in U.S coastal waters) and so are blue fin. I don't fish for shark, cause I don't care for the taste or the texture; but I love tuna. I'd like to think that they'll be around when I'm long gone, but the numbers ain't lookin too good there bud. I think I read somewhere there's only about 10% of the blue fin there were when I was kid. Breaks my heart. I stick mostly to albacore and yellow tail these days. I know it don't make a difference, but I feel a lot less guilty. Seems to me that calling for the culling of an apex predator that has been over-fished doesnít fit the definition of responsible conservation. However, being someone who actually fishes for shark, I imagine youíre more up on that issue than I am.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

I was actually going to ask the same question. Would a 2mm long sleeve wetsuit top help? or is it warm enough where there is no need for layering?