LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a Kook?

What is a Kook?

Seems to be some confusion and I thought I'd stir the pot a bit. I prefer these definitions:

kook

a kook is a poser who turns up in the beach car park wearing a top of the range wetsuit and carrying a spanking new surfboard, checks the surf for an hour before actually going in, when it is so obviously pumping, then when he enters the water proceeds to splash around like a drowning rabbit.

kook

Kook is a term, most often used by aggro locals, to describe any surfers that:
    - don't live in the ****hole little coastal towns
    - don't work construction and/or drive old, beat-up trucks
    - pretend like they can surf when, in reality, they suck-ass
    - don't follow the rules of the lineup
    - show up in the lot with a frappachino, excited about 2-footers

However, the term kook has a different meaning to different types of surfers. It is most likely the case that every surfer, at one point or another, has been called a kook themselves and has called other surfers kooks. You don't have to be an asshole local to enjoy this fun, degredating term!!!
    "That guy has a surf-rack on a land-rover, what a kook!"
    "Hey Kook, get off my wave!!"

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kook

you're a kook

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    you're a kook

hahahahahahahhaa

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Seems to be some confusion and I thought I'd stir the pot a bit. I prefer these definitions:

kook

a kook is a poser who turns up in the beach car park wearing a top of the range wetsuit and carrying a spanking new surfboard, checks the surf for an hour before actually going in, when it is so obviously pumping, then when he enters the water proceeds to splash around like a drowning rabbit.

kook

Kook is a term, most often used by aggro locals, to describe any surfers that:
    - don't live in the ****hole little coastal towns
    - don't work construction and/or drive old, beat-up trucks
    - pretend like they can surf when, in reality, they suck-ass
    - don't follow the rules of the lineup
    - show up in the lot with a frappachino, excited about 2-footers

However, the term kook has a different meaning to different types of surfers. It is most likely the case that every surfer, at one point or another, has been called a kook themselves and has called other surfers kooks. You don't have to be an asshole local to enjoy this fun, degredating term!!!
    "That guy has a surf-rack on a land-rover, what a kook!"
    "Hey Kook, get off my wave!!"

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kook
    hahaha that was hilarious ......I can see how some people could say that is the meaning of a kook. Although it has been taken out of context. What you are describing seems more like a poser at the most. I can't lie though.....I have used the word kook out of context b4. Like at a local jersey shore bar when you see a dude rocking a rash guard. Is the guy wearing a rash guard to the bar a kook? Yeah probably...but just cause hes wearing it doesn't make him one. He's just an idiot. I'm old school and that's what kook meant when i was growing up...

Poseur is word we heard a ton back in the day. those are the worst IMO. the guys who sports the sweet brand new CI board and most fashionable gear but never gets wet.

I always feel like a poser/kook when I go back to visit my parent si nthe DC area and I go to the mall sporting Uggs and other surf clothes, kind of feel like a fish out of water even though I grew up there.

Images

my thoughts

If you paddle out somewhere not familiar to you, and try to sit on the peak, when it is apparent that everyone in the lineup knows each other. Your a kook

If you dont think you have to put your time in at a spot to get respect, your a kook.

If you ride a surfboard and think you are superior to someone who rides a bodyboard...your a kook

Images
    "****hole little coastal towns"??? why dont you stay on the other side of the bridge pumpmaster!

"Kook"

this is the definition I have heard in he past. we have our share of them in OC. If you are not sure if you are one, then you probably are......

It's fairly well-known in the older segment of the surfing community that "kook" is Hawaiian in origin (orig. spelling "kukai" (?)). It means "****" (n.); hence the derogatory connotations. California surfers brought the term back from the Islands in the 30's and 40's. Example: At San Onofre (along with Malibu, one of the original surf spots in So. Cal.), there was a small canyon above the surfing beach that was named "Kukai Canyon." It was where everyone went to defecate in those pre-outhouse days. The surfers used the term "kook" to refer to newbie surfers lacking any surfing skill whatsoever.

da kine?
    peace
    Reef

Images
    A kook is someone who gets on a internet message board 6 times a day and talks crap all day trying to explain what a kook is.