LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a Kook?

With all due respect,.........get to the back of the line! Damn Kooks.

"ive been goin down to squan for about 4 years now"

"but also share with others" <---maybe not?

"I migrated down here 5 years ago"

"u gotta deal with whatever ur idea of a kook is no matter what they do to u or the line up!" <--maybe not?

"If you paddle out somewhere not familiar to you, and try to sit on the peak, when it is apparent that everyone in the lineup knows each other. Your a kook." <--this is true

If you dont think you have to put your time in at a spot to get respect, your a kook."<--this is true......

"used by aggro locals, to describe any surfers that:
    - don't live in the ****hole little coastal towns
    -don't work construction and/or drive old, beat-up trucks" <--that was dumb.

Whatever man, whatever........just know your place,................and get to the back of the line.

go to the beach.
    first time see a guy surfing nice waves all by himself.
    changed my life forever,knew right then,i was gonna do it.
    got a board.
    saw the local crew out ripping.
    paddled out as far away from them as possible.
    guy comes flying down the line,from all that far away,i'm in his way,he almost runs me over,i'm scared,he maybe even called me kook and told me to get out of the way.
    all i could think was 'i wanna be like them,surf like them, be a part of that crew.'
    i worked hard at learning how to never get in anyone's way,never drop in on anyone, before i learned how to ride a wave,because that was a more important part of surfing.
    when i learned how to surf,i stayed away from the local crew until wave by wave,swell by swell, i earned their respect i worked so hard for.
    respect and revere the ocean as well as all the local crews who worked their way into the lineup.
    that was years ago,1977,i was a kid.
    this year,when the non-local invader kooks come,they will also leave and go back to where they came from,so they don't actually exist.
    that guy i watched surfing nice waves all by himself 35 years ago is what is my world.
    this summer,if invaders choose to paddle out by me,they're gonna get a lesson,whatever lesson they need,but a surfing lesson,free.

Kook

If you weren't a kook you would be in the water and spending all your time describing yourself

sure does seem like a lot of negativity on this site.
    I'm a beginner longerboarder
    Lived in Md my whole life, spent lots of time in OC as a kid but never really learned to surf
    have just really gotten into it in recent years
    went to Nosara/Guiones in CR for a week last month, had a BLAST
    tried to stay out of the way of the really good surfers but couldnt help it sometimes on the paddle out
    when I said "sorry" no one said watch out kook, instead they said "no worries."
    No bad attitudes
    The motto there was the best surfer is the one that is having the most fun
    Guess its different on this site.

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1911

look up kook in the dictionary and you find a pic of this kid. He can be found under tool or tool bag as well

FMS77 Guest
    I think dedication and commitment are the same thing retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    Agreed 100% bb.rider.

Thanks for saying that for all of us who call the coast home. All this spring/summer deuchebaggery is pissing me off. I migrated down here 5 years ago, and while I may travel, I'll always lay in the flatlands near the waves, here, there, or anywhere. But here is where I call home, and plan to forever. I live simple and quietly as any real waverider does.

This ain't a status thing. You can play dress up at home.

This **** is about dedication, gratitude and commitment, if you don't have those 3 things you don't deserve what we have. With them you'll gain pleasure and pain, but those who use the ocean like a junk filled tool deserve neither. Grow up. And do it fast. Come with respect or don't come at all...

Bottom line on the kook thing is that a kook is someone who goes where they don't belong without bringing humility and respect. If you want to ride waves for fun, when it's convenient for you, then fine, but shut up, don't talk **** to those who grew up here. Unless your born where you can hear the waves at you window, you'll have to sometime or another.

AND, If you don't like the town then why do you come? While the tourism drives me mad, the locals I've met are really great people, with far less of a cynical, judgemental mindstate as the ones on the other side of the bay bridge whom I grew up with. I hate to see people with no depth get turned onto such a gift. It should be earned and appreciated.

Say what you will, but I love this strange strip of coastline, and I'd rather not see spoiled brats come and act like they are king ****, when they are nothing but a fade in the foreground of our currently unfocused shot.

While I come from where many of you do, I did not come for your reasons. Go to burgerking and drive around the parking lot awhile.

The waves here suck anyway.

Thumbs down

Ahahah. This is a stupid thread and I am not sure why I am replying. Most of you guys sound like idiots. Grant it most of you are probably 12 year olds but still.

I can tell you one thing I do what I want where I want when I am in the ocean. I will paddle to the peak, pack, group, locals. I don't give a ****. No one owns the ocean. I don't need to show respect to any of you local or not and if you think so YOU are the kook. I don't care if you were born in the fing ocean at that exact spot you surf. Only places I let locals do what they want is when I go out of country period. Other then that in the great old USA/HI you can go screw yourself if you think I am going to bend over backwards to get "respect" from some washed up crusty local that I don't know and who won't show respect to me. I live about 10 min (bike ride) from my local break but I surf everywhere. Sure I can consider myself a local to a certain spot in NJ but I DON'T. More waves for me, locals stay home!

P.S. A kook is someone who thinks they are better at something then they really are. Surfing, skating, motocross, snowboarding ext.

bonersurfs is a kook

Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    Ahahah. This is a stupid thread and I am not sure why I am replying. Most of you guys sound like idiots. Grant it most of you are probably 12 year olds but still.

I can tell you one thing I do what I want where I want when I am in the ocean. I will paddle to the peak, pack, group, locals. I don't give a ****. No one owns the ocean. I don't need to show respect to any of you local or not and if you think so YOU are the kook. I don't care if you were born in the fing ocean at that exact spot you surf. Only places I let locals do what they want is when I go out of country period. Other then that in the great old USA/HI you can go screw yourself if you think I am going to bend over backwards to get "respect" from some washed up crusty local that I don't know and who won't show respect to me. I live about 10 min (bike ride) from my local break but I surf everywhere. Sure I can consider myself a local to a certain spot in NJ but I DON'T. More waves for me, locals stay home!

P.S. A kook is someone who thinks they are better at something then they really are. Surfing, skating, motocross, snowboarding ext.
    Exhibit A.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    exhibit a.
    LOL Good one
    Last edited by chuck white; Jul 31, 2008 at 01:48 PM.