Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    The conversations generated by this thread has left me wondering what the world would pay for a surfboard like this. If this board was for sale at your local surf shop what would you feel comfortable paying?
    Note that custom wood surfboards range from in excess of a million dollars to a few thousand. What price wouldn't give the surfing world heartburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    The conversations generated by this thread has left me wondering what the world would pay for a surfboard like this. If this board was for sale at your local surf shop what would you feel comfortable paying?
    Note that custom wood surfboards range from in excess of a million dollars to a few thousand. What price wouldn't give the surfing world heartburn?
    From what I have seen, wooden boards range from $1500 to $10000, depending on the builder, materials, and size. I don't count RS boards, cause his prices are moronic. If you sold the board you built for $5k at a local shop, I can see someone buying it. However, it would have to ride well where the owner surfs. It will be interesting to see how yours does in SC swell. We don't get long duration clean waves like the Kiwis. Personally, I would love to own a classic LB design wooden board (in the 10' range). I know that would probably work well down on IOP.

I posted an estimated $700 for materials.
    I built the board over a three month period. However I believe I have (roughly) 160 hours in labor.
    So if my labor rate was $25 an hour and I included materials the price tag would be 4,700.

If my labor rate was $15 dollars an hour and I included materials the price tag would be 3,100.

Since this board was built by an "average joe" (myself), what would the price be...........?

I felt this would be a good question to the forum readers.
    talk to a local shaper and find out how much they make an hour, I'm willing to bet it's not $25. Once your price exceeds, say $1200 for a surfboard, your market diminishes greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    talk to a local shaper and find out how much they make an hour, I'm willing to bet it's not $25. Once your price exceeds, say $1200 for a surfboard, your market diminishes greatly.
    Especially in SC. Maybe the market would be larger in CA or HI.

1200 minus 700 for materials leaves me 500 dollars to cover my 160 hours of labor. That would mean I make custom wood Roy Stewart inspired longboards at a rate of $3.12 per hour.

Depends:

How many like boards have you built that have proven to hold up under use?
    How many positive testimonials from experienced wooden board riders for that shape?

If the answer to either or both is "not many" then i'd admire the incredible amount of craftsmanship that went into it, and keep walking. But there is probably a different market out there for beautifully crafted wooden boards of unproven performance.

1200 minus 700 for materials leaves me 500 dollars to cover my 160 hours of labor. That would mean I make custom wood Roy Stewart inspired longboards at a rate of $3.12 per hour.
    He isn't telling you to sell at 1200. He is stating the market is small above 1200, which is true. That doesn't mean you should screw yourself over.

There are some valid points made here. Price is a tricky thing to place on an object. I am an licensed mechanic by trade and in college I have studied advanced composites. I have studied woodworking the last several years and I have made several wood boards. I've made alaias, hollow wooden stringer, and torsion box surfboards. If I would sell a surfboard it would be most likely online were they regularly fetch 3000 to 6000 on any given day. 1200 is a fair price for a foam longboard. Custom wood surfboards fetch more. I wouldn't set my labor rate at what a foam shaper at the local surf shop charges unless I was making foam boards.

If I would sell a surfboard it would be most likely online were they regularly fetch 3000 to 6000 on any given day. 1200 is a fair price for a foam longboard. Custom wood surfboards fetch more. I wouldn't set my labor rate at what a foam shaper at the local surf shop charges unless I was making foam boards.
    I never suggested selling your board for $1200, i did however point out that the market for said board would be dramatically smaller for prices above that.

The real problem is, noone knows you as a shaper or even a surfer. And you've only built a couple boards. Most people who drop that kind of money for a surfboard are going to go with name recognition also. Basically, what I'm saying is, you can't build 3 boards and think you can call yourself a shaper. And in no way am I taking anything away from the board you built, it looks beautiful. Just going to be really difficult to find that small percentage of people who are willing to pay $6,000 for a surfboard built by: some guy.

Perfect example: your boy Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Another hallmark of the classic scammer: he's got it all figured out, 'cause he knows something the rest of the human race isn't privy to. And that makes him special. And that makes his offering special. And goobers fall in line like mesmerized, brainwashed asshats in order to shell out their valuable money for the mysterious special sauce.

And that's how you get Madoff, and MF Global, and politicians & Roy Stuart.

Stuart's just another in a long line of scammin' slammers, and there's plenty of 'em from his home isle of NZ.
    MF Global stole money from customer accounts FFS.

Suggesting that I would do that is libelous.

What I'm doing is offering expensive surfboards for sale, whoever buys them makes a conscious decision to do so, without coercion.

If a person has far more money than they will ever need and enjoys spending huge amounts on unique items, then that is their business... and it happens all the time.

Your attitude shows poverty of spirit, in my opinion.... if one is going to dream, dream big!

... yes and I do know many things which the rest of you haven't figured out.
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Apr 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM.