LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    If I would sell a surfboard it would be most likely online were they regularly fetch 3000 to 6000 on any given day. 1200 is a fair price for a foam longboard. Custom wood surfboards fetch more. I wouldn't set my labor rate at what a foam shaper at the local surf shop charges unless I was making foam boards.
    I never suggested selling your board for $1200, i did however point out that the market for said board would be dramatically smaller for prices above that.

The real problem is, noone knows you as a shaper or even a surfer. And you've only built a couple boards. Most people who drop that kind of money for a surfboard are going to go with name recognition also. Basically, what I'm saying is, you can't build 3 boards and think you can call yourself a shaper. And in no way am I taking anything away from the board you built, it looks beautiful. Just going to be really difficult to find that small percentage of people who are willing to pay $6,000 for a surfboard built by: some guy.

Perfect example: your boy Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Another hallmark of the classic scammer: he's got it all figured out, 'cause he knows something the rest of the human race isn't privy to. And that makes him special. And that makes his offering special. And goobers fall in line like mesmerized, brainwashed asshats in order to shell out their valuable money for the mysterious special sauce.

And that's how you get Madoff, and MF Global, and politicians & Roy Stuart.

Stuart's just another in a long line of scammin' slammers, and there's plenty of 'em from his home isle of NZ.
    MF Global stole money from customer accounts FFS.

Suggesting that I would do that is libelous.

What I'm doing is offering expensive surfboards for sale, whoever buys them makes a conscious decision to do so, without coercion.

If a person has far more money than they will ever need and enjoys spending huge amounts on unique items, then that is their business... and it happens all the time.

Your attitude shows poverty of spirit, in my opinion.... if one is going to dream, dream big!

... yes and I do know many things which the rest of you haven't figured out.
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Apr 21, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    I never suggested selling your board for $1200, i did however point out that the market for said board would be dramatically smaller for prices above that.

The real problem is, noone knows you as a shaper or even a surfer. And you've only built a couple boards. Most people who drop that kind of money for a surfboard are going to go with name recognition also. Basically, what I'm saying is, you can't build 3 boards and think you can call yourself a shaper. And in no way am I taking anything away from the board you built, it looks beautiful. Just going to be really difficult to find that small percentage of people who are willing to pay $6,000 for a surfboard built by: some guy.

Perfect example: your boy Roy.
    Lol, I've been making boards since 1970 and using the parallel profile method which I invented since 1994... I'm also well known as a surfboard maker and surfer all over the world.

The bottom and middle of the market is shrinking, only the extreme top end is growing and thriving. It's the place to be, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

The price of art is subjective.
    Quite so.

My name carries no fame. However I am a wood surfboard builder. I have been doing it for years. I cannot claim I've made a hundred surfboards but I don't need to have a certain number of completed builds to call myself a shaper. I have nearly 100 pictures documenting the build process. The complexity of building a surfboard of this design is more complicated than shaping a foam board. There are numerous more steps involved.

So after building a surfboard like this I can't hold the title of shaper? Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ask your standard shaper to build you one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah but Roy you are not going to sell any surfboards, which makes your dream just that.... A dream. A day dream at best. Can u give us an idea of how many boards you've sold? Zero? Less than zero?

Steve83, that's purdy. I'd be askeert to get that wet.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Steve83, that's purdy. I'd be askeert to get that wet.
    Don't worry - - it doesn't stay in, or on, the water for very long.

The subject of pricing and selling the board could be argued indefinitely. I personally don't think $6000 is is an unrealistic number. Again they regularly go for that price online. However I have not decided to sell the board at all. I'm perfectly content surfing it.

I built this surfboard because I am in love with the craft of building and I am in love with the sport of surfing.
    Last edited by Steve83; Apr 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Sanding the board is complete. The finish coat has been applied to the deck. Tomarrow the finish coat will be applied to the bottom. After that I plan to give the board at least four days to cure.

The build will be complete and ocean ready in 1 week.