LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post

Blatant personal attack from the transcendental existentialist.

Roy, those threads still exist... are you going to threaten libel again?
    Observing that content is libelous is not the same as 'threatening libel' it is merely an observation.

As for the personal attack comment would you like a list of the insults posted to me in this thread ?

I am responding in a calm and restrained fashion unlike many here.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

no one knows him outside of Internet trolling.
    That is incorrect.

Says the guy who thinks he is gods gift to the world of surfboard shaping
    I make no apology for being aware that the universe is created and sustained by an intelligent force.

Keep posting pictures of your boards!
    A hypocritical statement considering that you and others are trolling this thread with off topic personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    That is an awesome looking job, KB. You are a true American craftsman. Very cool. That is seriously something out of 'Architectural Digest.'
    Thanks, Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    A hypocritical statement considering that you and others are trolling this thread with off topic personal attacks.
    Roy, obviously your reading comprehension skills are obscured. Brew was talking to Steve, not you!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    It isn't a personal attack to bring up crap you post in other areas of the net. It also says a lot about your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Roy, obviously your reading comprehension skills are obscured. Brew was talking to Steve, not you!
    True story. Steve is a local and I admire his woodworking abilities. Roy is a egotistical Internet spammer out to get rich quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    There are some valid points made here. Price is a tricky thing to place on an object. I am an licensed mechanic by trade and in college I have studied advanced composites. I have studied woodworking the last several years and I have made several wood boards. I've made alaias, hollow wooden stringer, and torsion box surfboards. If I would sell a surfboard it would be most likely online were they regularly fetch 3000 to 6000 on any given day. 1200 is a fair price for a foam longboard. Custom wood surfboards fetch more. I wouldn't set my labor rate at what a foam shaper at the local surf shop charges unless I was making foam boards.

Dude, you're talking hourly labor rates like that has anything to do with the price of a surfboard! How many hours it took you to make has 0 to do with its value. Let's say the new guy at MickieD's takes twice as long too make a hamburger, because they're not a master burger craftsman. Mickie D's doesn't pass on the additional labor cost to the guy buyin the burger, right? That's how it works with surfboards. It takes me a whole day to shape a board. My father in law can shape a blank in an hour or two. Mine's not worth more because it took me longer. In fact, it's worth considerably less because I made it instead of him.

Here's a brand new Matt Calvani Bing Balsa for $4300 (Canadian). http://www.surf-longboard.com/lb063.htm

That's a world famous, head shaper for what are arguably the most popular longboards out there being sold in online retail situation.

Here's a car world analogy for you, if I go to Chip Foose or Carrol Shelby (rip) or Jack Roush, I'm gonna pay more than if I get the same work done at Steve's Auto, right? The work could be just as good, but because those guys are who they are, it's worth more. You pay more for service at the dealership right? Why, because you're paying for the label.

"Price is a tricky thing to place on an object."

It really ain't, you base the price of an object on what else is out there for sale and what has sold. Anybody can say that their 1989 CRX SI is worth 10 grand just cause they threw a B18C5 in it. That doesn’t make it true though. The market for cars is well established. So is the market for surfboards. The numbers you're using are too high. Those are for top of the line boards made by notable shapers. Danny Hess's top boards go for $3-6K. But Danny Hess is the Shelby of the wood board world right now.

It's a nice board Steve. My father in law was over for dinner last night, I showed it to him. He liked it, but he thought my appraisal was a little high (I was actually being generous) and he's sold a wooden board or two.

You asked for an appraisal. Sorry you don't like the numbers, but that's what they are. I'm not knocking your board or the craftsmanship; it's a real nice board, but a board's value has a lot more to do with who made it than how long it took to make.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Ok I see the point guys on price but I'm not making a living making boards so price isn't what drives me. I would make one for a friend for him buying the beer and feeding me BBQ during the build.

I just excited to add it the the quiver. Oh and last coat of epoxy went on 1/2 hour ago!!!!

More board pics after it cures!!!!