LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Sunscreen

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    3,424
    Images
    26

    Sunscreen

    I'm sure this is the first of many for the season, but what are everyone's thoughts on the best sunblock or sunscreen for both surfing and leisure on the beach?

    I used to use headhunter for surfing in San Diego. It worked well. Went on like a darkish brown paste but didnt look like straight zinc oxide or anything but it stayed on for hours through big winter surf....

    Last week I spent about 2.5 hours on the beach with my wife and daughter after a surf and the South Carolina sun didn't feel like it was beating down, but i got lobstered. I put some of my daughters sunscreen on my shoulders which were fine, but the rest were toast

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,066
    headhunter is good, but for in or on the water stuff, i prefer waterman's http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/. doesn't run or rub off like many others. used the facestick in 2010 while in the maldives & didn't get burnt at all. i swear by that stuff.
    for my basic, just-sittin'-on-the-beach-reading sunblock, i use NO-AD spf 15. rubs in easy & does the job well.

  3. #3
    I use no ad 50 sports. And I reapply it every 45-60 minutes. I never burn but my exposed skin unfortunately does tan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    173
    EDIT: Welp, Aloe Gator has Benzophenone-3, aka oxybenzone. Looks like it's time to switch brands.

    Aloe Gator. The stuff is as awesome as sunblock can be. What I use is a semi-clear gel that's not terribly greasy and it lasts for hours -- in topical surf, sweaty ridge-top hiking, biking, running, whatever. Maybe it lasts the 8 hours it says it does if you just sit there, but I'm usually good to go for 2-3 hours in a sunny session with lots of duck diving. It would probably last longer if I applied it well before I got wet...

    This time of year is funny in the north east. It's cold enough to need a hood but sunny enough to get sunburn. I don't always put it on or re-apply so I usually end up having a ridiculous oval tan on my face through mid-may.
    Last edited by viajerodevida; Apr 23, 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: There's considerably less awesomeness in Aloe Gator than I thought

  5. #5
    Most sunblocks are toxic and cause skin cancer... which is one of the reasons why the rates of skin cancer are increasing as sunblock use increases.

    I use zinc, with coconut oil and bees wax, but usually go without, and spend a lot of time sunbathing as lack of vitamin D also causes cancer and bone density loss amongst other things.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Most sunblocks are toxic and cause skin cancer... which is one of the reasons why the rates of skin cancer are increasing as sunblock use increases.

    I use zinc, with coconut oil and bees wax, but usually go without, and spend a lot of time sunbathing as lack of vitamin D also causes cancer and bone density loss amongst other things.
    Huh....?

    Roy, you hack, you're just trying to keep your name in the threads. Stop killing bees, don't you realize the bees are being wiped out by human pesticide use? Do you really want to pay $ 9.00 for a tomato next summer, because the bees aren't pollinating anything because there no bees because you have over-utilized beeswax?

    That tongue-in-cheek item right there made about as much sense as you do, Roy. Until you get your degree in dermatology just stop talking above your pay grade. And don't trot out more BS conspiracy theories. And don't trot out Slater's strange monologue on sunblock. Do something useful. What that is, in your world, I have no idea. Maybe go rebuild Christchurch.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    headhunter is good, but for in or on the water stuff, i prefer waterman's http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/. doesn't run or rub off like many others. used the facestick in 2010 while in the maldives & didn't get burnt at all. i swear by that stuff.
    for my basic, just-sittin'-on-the-beach-reading sunblock, i use NO-AD spf 15. rubs in easy & does the job well.
    Good call.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Huh....?

    Roy, you hack, you're just trying to keep your name in the threads. Stop killing bees, don't you realize the bees are being wiped out by human pesticide use? Do you really want to pay $ 9.00 for a tomato next summer, because the bees aren't pollinating anything because there no bees because you have over-utilized beeswax?
    Actually more beeswax is produced by hives than can be used, thus the wax is a by product.

    The decline in bee population is a very bad trend which I am not responsible for, but I am supporting bees and keepers both by buying wax and utilising my land as well as I can... this produces pollen for bees.

    Until you get your degree in dermatology just stop talking above your pay grade. And don't trot out more BS conspiracy theories. And don't trot out Slater's strange monologue on sunblock. Do something useful. What that is, in your world, I have no idea. Maybe go rebuild Christchurch.

    Your attempts to tell me what to do ( and the leading questions contained in those 'orders' ) are futile.

    I'm correct regarding sunblock and so is Kelly. You need to wake up.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good call.
    Toxic to the entire body.

    Did you know that almost all fatal skin cancers occur on parts of the body which don't get sun exposure?

    .

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Toxic to the entire body.

    Did you know that almost all fatal skin cancers occur on parts of the body which don't get sun exposure?

    .
    The skin is an organ. Damage in one place can cause melanoma to appear in another area.

    Here's an experiment you can do genius since you say sunblock ALONE causes cancer and should be avoided.

    1)Sit out in the sun for 5 hours a day everyday for 20 years with ZERO sunblock in just trunks at the beach.

    2)Use sunblock reapplying every 30 minutes and limit exposure to sun.

    Do this with 100 fair skinned people.See who gets cancer first.