LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen

Hybrid View

Images

Sunscreen

I'm sure this is the first of many for the season, but what are everyone's thoughts on the best sunblock or sunscreen for both surfing and leisure on the beach?

I used to use headhunter for surfing in San Diego. It worked well. Went on like a darkish brown paste but didnt look like straight zinc oxide or anything but it stayed on for hours through big winter surf....

Last week I spent about 2.5 hours on the beach with my wife and daughter after a surf and the South Carolina sun didn't feel like it was beating down, but i got lobstered. I put some of my daughters sunscreen on my shoulders which were fine, but the rest were toast

headhunter is good, but for in or on the water stuff, i prefer waterman's http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/. doesn't run or rub off like many others. used the facestick in 2010 while in the maldives & didn't get burnt at all. i swear by that stuff.
    for my basic, just-sittin'-on-the-beach-reading sunblock, i use NO-AD spf 15. rubs in easy & does the job well.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    headhunter is good, but for in or on the water stuff, i prefer waterman's http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/. doesn't run or rub off like many others. used the facestick in 2010 while in the maldives & didn't get burnt at all. i swear by that stuff.
    for my basic, just-sittin'-on-the-beach-reading sunblock, i use NO-AD spf 15. rubs in easy & does the job well.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good call.
    Toxic to the entire body.

Did you know that almost all fatal skin cancers occur on parts of the body which don't get sun exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post

Did you know that almost all fatal skin cancers occur on parts of the body which don't get sun exposure?

The skin is an organ. Damage in one place can cause melanoma to appear in another area.

Here's an experiment you can do genius since you say sunblock ALONE causes cancer and should be avoided.

1)Sit out in the sun for 5 hours a day everyday for 20 years with ZERO sunblock in just trunks at the beach.

2)Use sunblock reapplying every 30 minutes and limit exposure to sun.

Do this with 100 fair skinned people.See who gets cancer first.

There is a sliver of truth to what Roy says. Some, but not all, sunscreens contain an ingredient called oxybenzone that can be absorbed by your skin and potentially cause problems:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/16/health/sunscreen-report
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/sun-...sun-protection

Most doctors see no problem with it, but it's never a bad idea to avoid chemicals like that if there are alternatives that are just as effective (zinc).

To the OP, surfline has run a quite a few good articles about sunscreen over the last couple years. Easy to find through google.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    The skin is an organ. Damage in one place can cause melanoma to appear in another area.

Here's an experiment you can do genius since you say sunblock ALONE causes cancer and should be avoided.

1)Sit out in the sun for 5 hours a day everyday for 20 years with ZERO sunblock in just trunks at the beach.

2)Use sunblock reapplying every 30 minutes and limit exposure to sun.

Do this with 100 fair skinned people.See who gets cancer first.
    Spot-on. Let us know how that goes Stuey.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post

SOURCE!?!? You can't just say **** and assume that everyone will believe you. Source! Link a source!

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post

Waterman's is the best sunscreen I have ever used. I use the stick on my face and the 33+(or whatever it is) on everything else. Two applications/day for a day swimming and sweating at the beach: no sunburn.

I use the no-ad if I'm fishing or not doing anything in the water or sweating too much. Waterman's is just too stinking expensive to use all the time.

I use no ad 50 sports. And I reapply it every 45-60 minutes. I never burn but my exposed skin unfortunately does tan.