Most doctors see no problem with it, but it's never a bad idea to avoid chemicals like that if there are alternatives that are just as effective (zinc).
To the OP, surfline has run a quite a few good articles about sunscreen over the last couple years. Easy to find through google.
Oxybenzone/avobenzone is notorious for burning eyes and should be avoided by people going in the water since the water will splash it into your eyes. I always use tear-free sunblock, which almost never has oxybenzone in it.
Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 21, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
headhunter is good, but for in or on the water stuff, i prefer waterman's http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/. doesn't run or rub off like many others. used the facestick in 2010 while in the maldives & didn't get burnt at all. i swear by that stuff.
for my basic, just-sittin'-on-the-beach-reading sunblock, i use NO-AD spf 15. rubs in easy & does the job well.
Waterman's is the best sunscreen I have ever used. I use the stick on my face and the 33+(or whatever it is) on everything else. Two applications/day for a day swimming and sweating at the beach: no sunburn.
I use the no-ad if I'm fishing or not doing anything in the water or sweating too much. Waterman's is just too stinking expensive to use all the time.
First, of course most fatal sun cancer's occur where there is no exposure. Those are also areas (under your hair) that aren't regularly looked at, so the cancer is caught at a later time, when it is advanced.
Second, as someone else said, melanoma travels. Just lost a "friend of a friend" to melanoma who's tumor was in her internal organs. The cancer doesn't even always form "in the skin".
And regarding sunscreen, waterman's by far. Put the 33 on my shoulders, 18 everywhere else. Put a base of 33 on my face, and then use the 55 stick on my nose, cheeks, forehead, etc... my face burns easily so i really go nuts on it.
but after 5 trips to costa in the past 4 years, using this method, i don't get burned. and by the last 2-3 days of the trip, i'm able to to have a nice base where I can be more liberal and start to get a nice tan going...
Bullfrog spray on. It's a little nasty, but a high spf and lasts alll day long. I also use an Ocean Potion facestick (Dab On) Just cuz I don't like getting sunscreen on the hands when im surfing makes the wax a little slippy
Most sunblocks are toxic and cause skin cancer... which is one of the reasons why the rates of skin cancer are increasing as sunblock use increases.<br /><br />I use zinc, with coconut oil and bees wax, but usually go without, and spend a lot of time sunbathing as lack of vitamin D also causes cancer and bone density loss amongst other things.
<br /><br />Just another Bennie.....Listen to him and you'll be sorry!<br /><br /><br />To stay safe in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing. When using any sunscreen:<br />•Check ingredients. Oxybenzone may interfere with hormones in the body, and nanoscale zinc and titanium oxides have been linked to potential reproductive and developmental effects. In skin, retinyl palmitate converts readily to retinoids, associated with a risk of birth defects in people using retinoid-containing acne medications. Pregnant women may want to avoid products with retinyl palmitate, noted in the Ratings.<br />•Spray carefully. The FDA has said it is exploring the risks of inhaling spray sunscreens. Avoid using sprays on children, and spray sunscreen onto your hands to apply it to your face.<br />•Use enough. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of lotion on most of your body, or spray as much as can be rubbed in, then repeat. Reapply every 2 hours and after swimming or sweating. <br /> This is from Consumer Reports magazine.....<br /><br /><br />There are NO medical studies that show sunscreen,sunblock causes cancer...NONE....Studies have been done but all were inconclusive. 90% of those who say they do are trying to sell you their own product and the other 10% are conspiracy theorists who think everyone is out to get them like Bennie ( Roy ) here.....I personally use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer on my face,hands and legs and wear a LS rashguard to protect my back and arms. It's rated in the top five along with NoAd which is the least expensive. You have to make sure whatever you use has both UVA and UVB protection.<br /><br /><br /><br />Here is a link for info and products...........<br /><br /><br />http://www.consumersearch.com/sunscreen/review