LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen

When i'm trying to save some money I go with Coppertone Stick 55 on my face and Coppertone lotion 30-50 on the rest. I also have a bottle of Waterman's 55 that I use sparingly, as it's more expensive, but i've found it to be the most effective, and it doesn't run in your eyes at all.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Apr 23, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

One of the most common places for skin cancer is on the head (face, ears, eyelids etc). I have always been good at wearing screen, but always tried to avoid getting it in my eyes. Had a mole under my eye, right on lower eyelid where the smile lines are, that I didn't remember having, went to the doc and was basal cell carcinoma. Got it removed and the scar is fading slowly, but I'm only 31. Needless to say I will be changing my sunblocking regimen. The surgeon recommended blocks with zinc or titanium, also going to wear long sleeve rashguards from now on, getting all parts around eyes, etc, and possibly wearing a hat in the water, especially when in the tropics.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    +1 Waterman's is the best.....end of thread.
    Agreed, only stuff I use, does what it says to a tee

Quote Originally Posted by Thewaternerd View Post
    Bullfrog spray on. It's a little nasty, but a high spf and lasts alll day long. I also use an Ocean Potion facestick (Dab On) Just cuz I don't like getting sunscreen on the hands when im surfing makes the wax a little slippy
    Bull Frog surfers gel (orange cap) is the best. Like wearing a flannel shirt. I only use the Bull Frog spray on the noggin.

Images
    Banana Boat SPF 50 or ZINKA!

Images
    Like others have said, Oxybenzone and other chemicals that are common in most sunscreens are bad. Check this database for the best and worst sunscreens in terms of chemicals: http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

You can search for specific sunscreens or just browse the best ones. I always use something with Zinc Oxide or Titanium in it. Instead of creating a chemical barrier to block UV rays, it creates a physical barrier which is why it is harder to rub in and be absorbed by your skin.

I usually use CVS brand Zinc Oxide SPF 45. It's cheap, easy to find, and works great without all that crap in it.

sunscreen.jpg
    Watermans.....or you can end up like me, 60 years on the beach, life guard, surfer, paddleboarder, sup, diver,..
    with over 10 procedures ,..my generation bet on iodine and baby oil, and lost.

Aloha, Randy

that coppertone sport stick spf50 stuff is clutch for your face. i have like 4 sticks of it strategically placed so im never without one before a surf. i hate burning my nose

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myer View Post
    sunscreen.jpg
    Watermans.....or you can end up like me, 60 years on the beach, life guard, surfer, paddleboarder, sup, diver,..
    with over 10 procedures ,..my generation bet on iodine and baby oil, and lost.

Aloha, Randy
    Ouch man, that looks painful

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    First, of course most fatal sun cancer's occur where there is no exposure. Those are also areas (under your hair) that aren't regularly looked at, so the cancer is caught at a later time, when it is advanced.

Second, as someone else said, melanoma travels. Just lost a "friend of a friend" to melanoma who's tumor was in her internal organs. The cancer doesn't even always form "in the skin".

And regarding sunscreen, waterman's by far. Put the 33 on my shoulders, 18 everywhere else. Put a base of 33 on my face, and then use the 55 stick on my nose, cheeks, forehead, etc... my face burns easily so i really go nuts on it.

but after 5 trips to costa in the past 4 years, using this method, i don't get burned. and by the last 2-3 days of the trip, i'm able to to have a nice base where I can be more liberal and start to get a nice tan going...
    Totally incorrect!!! Melanoma is a Skin Cancer which is formed on the Dermis them progresses downward into the epidermis where it can then spread to other parts of your body. I've had a wide excission with a sentinal node procedure because of Melanoma. If the problem is caught in the dermis it's an easy treatment but if at or past the dermis/epidermis junction it becomes a major surgery because of the amount of tissue that needs to be removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wave1rider65; Apr 23, 2013 at 01:27 PM.