LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Overrated? I didn't even know we were rated. All the hype and stereotypes have kind of created a caricature of the entire state... over-emphasizing the parts that draw attention, both good and bad. Get a couple weeks of flat spell and everybody's dying to get out. Get a good run of swell and suddenly we're hyped. Somewhere in between is the truth. But I'll admit... on some days it's as good as it gets, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I guess it's just like everywhere else... it all comes down to local knowledge. Knowing where not to go is just as important as knowing where to go, and when.

Virginia's State motto is, "Hey, at least we're not New Jerksy. Welcome to Virginia, now go home!"

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    it gets flat like most everywhere,this past saturday it was as good up my street all day as anywhere in the world
    It doesn't get flat like anywhere else. It's MUCH worse. It's swell consistency can't be compared to out west. You can surf 5 days a week for months on end in awesome condition's in Hawaii or Cali. You can find uncrowded spots in those places. Southern cali has hundreds of miles of coastline. Hawaii is an island where the wind always offshore somewhere Yes trestles top named spots are crowded. NJ can go an entire summer with maybe 1 day of head high waves. Not exactly "endless summer" material.

It's extremely cold during the winter and early spring. So basically 5 months out of the year it sucks ass, unless you enjoy plunging in 38 degree water! Yes I know this board in flooded with east coast shredders. Bring on the hate!

Over-rated? Not by the general public. NJ isn't really known for surfing. It's all relative. It sucks compared to Hawaii, Southern cali, pr, costa ect., but it's not really a debate which is better anyway. NJ is really fun when it's "on". It's just not on that much and it's coastline is geographically uniform so only one wind direction is offshore. It also doesn't have a lot of wave variety. Basically just hollow beach barrels, which are fun of course, but No points ect.
    Oh and jersey can get crazy crowded during the summer/early fall/late spring. EC is not this uncrowded place people make it out to be. Huge population centers nearby ensure crowds. As well as the fact that because it's flat so often, people are foaming that mouth ready for the next swell. Also, a lot of places don't have good sandbars
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

^^ good points. Compared to Del, MD and VA, Jersey is WAY better in terms of variability and wave quality.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    ^^ good points. Compared to Del, MD and VA, Jersey is WAY better in terms of variability and wave quality.
    Totally agree with that. MD/DEL sandbars are atrocious. Most of the coastline is just steep drop off shorepound.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Totally agree with that. MD/DEL sandbars are atrocious. Most of the coastline is just steep drop off shorepound.
    i donno man ive seen delaware get way gnarlyer then ive ever seen jersey. Nothing like an overhead stand up barrel in knee deep water to make you understand the beauties of over-nourishing your beach.

Quote Originally Posted by trevolution View Post
    i donno man ive seen delaware get way gnarlyer then ive ever seen jersey. Nothing like an overhead stand up barrel in knee deep water to make you understand the beauties of over-nourishing your beach.
    Ever see Poverty in CM? Same type break. then you can drive a mile and get fat fun rollers, then a up the parkway and get something in between. You can't get that in DelMarVa and I surfed there for the better part of 20 years before going to NJ.

Images
    just be happy that NJ is taking the heat and the hype- and that the surf media is not blowing up your spot! Its getting crowded here in jersey- my normal spot has not broke regulary good in years- yet for one reason or another people seem to flock there and it gets super crowded and closing out while the next jetty will be peeling... oh well...
    i would love to have the coast line of CT, RI, Mass NH ect... all we got is sand bars...

Images
    i do totally agree with the delmarva vs jersey debate- jersey is much better- hands down!

The thing that kills me about NJ is paying to walk onto a beach. I know, I know, it's always been this way so why change right? I know I know, "but it's for the communities". I just hate paying to walk onto a beach. NJ Shore towns are awesome, the people are really cool, and I wish I grew up down there (maybe if I did I would have a totally different opinion), but I just hate having to pay when the rest of the country minus NY allow free access for all. Just a principle thing for me. I lived on the west coast for 9 years and (yes there are jerks there too) but when I tell people you have to pay to walk on the beaches in NJ they can't believe it. For fairness, I also hate the toll roads, LOL. The other thing I can't stand is how lifeguards here will pull swimmers out of the water if there are any waves (not talking about surfing, just swimmers....sometimes I'd like to body surf with my chick who doesn't surf, but I've been called out of the water so many times on a "rough day" with knee-waist high swell that I start to wonder what's the point of even going to the beach on a nice day if you aren't going to be allowed in past your ankles. Out west anyone can go in anytime. That's why there's lifeguards. But otherwise, I have been all over the country and the world and NJ has some of the nicest beaches. With that said, I think everyone to some degree can agree with me...otherwise I think I am in for a good ol' swellinfo forum bashing. Let the bashing commence.