LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Achtung: Surfers who Fish

Surfers and fishing people do not mix. Really you have to pick one of the other. The other week I found a decent peak in Ocean City, NJ but there was fisherman right on it. It was breaking close in so it would have been disrespectful to paddl my kayak right out there, right?

But why do fisherman always have to cast their lines where the waves are best? Why? Go where the waves don't break good.

How can somebudy call themselfes a surfer when they fish and they take over the good sandbars?

I never see any fishermens catch anything anyways. WHat are you guys duing?

I think the fishermens are wasting there times. They don't catch anything.

Kinda have to agree here, although I do enjoy both activities, but I NEVER fish in the surf, not never. Deep Sea is the way to go if you really wanna catch a lot of big fish. As for the d-bags casting lines directly into breaking waves while surfers are out, I'm just waiting for one of those asshats to hook me, so I can smash their skull in.

The worst part is that usually where I surf there is a fishing pier within walking distance, but they choose not to use it, rather they find the most crowded area of the beach, stick 3-5 poles in the sand and TRY to manage multiple lines, all the while catching nothing but stink eyes from all
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Apr 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Achtung, German for Attention? ZaGaffer that you buddy? Is ZaGaffer SJB? South Seawall Phil? What's this all meeeean?

Agreed. But, the little I know about fish habits is they lie in wait near drop-offs or structures waiting to pounce on unsuspecting smaller fish swimming by. Generally those spots are going to be the deeper areas near sandbars, piers and groins. Those are also the areas that generally give waves their best shape hence the age old battle between surfers and fishermen.

Now I'm not saying those fishermen had any clue as to the bottom contours in the area but it might be why we cross paths so often.

First come, first serve I say.
    At least you had the courtesy to recognize it would be disrespectful to paddle out through the guys line, which it absolutely is. I've seen a-holes on both sides.
    Alot of fishermen use jetties, as do surfers. Competing interests. Fishermen look for beach structure, sand bars, cuts, points, holes...the same way a surfer does. Flat featureless beaches usually suck for both fishing and surfing.
    PS being a fishermen and surfer is fine. It's called being an all around waterman. Add in some diving too makes it even better.
    The more time you spend on the water the better, regardless of how you are enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Achtung, German for Attention? ZaGaffer that you buddy? Is ZaGaffer SJB? South Seawall Phil? What's this all meeeean?
    Nah man not me; I'm way too busy today. I'm just tryin to get enough done so that I can get out this office by 4 and go get me some of this:

Two footers maybe 3 out here, but you'd be hard pressed to find those feet on a measuring tape, I admit.
    I think Lee guessed it man, Yankee got banned. PB&J is Yankee.

Crazy town. Gotta get back to the grind, peace out Dude. Forum's a trip today.

Images
    Strange goings on...I also cant stand the freshwater guys that leave line and hooks and sh*t everywhere where i hike.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Yea bro im confused too, they both write similar, but Gaff dont ramble on like SJB, but both of them are funny as hell...I dont know, its almost like a soap opera...you always have to come back...same time, same channel!!!

I grew up catching fish all day and surfing when there was waves in Jupiter florida. EVERYONE will fish when u can snag a snapper all the way up to snook right in the inter coastal. There are some crazy mother fu8ckers out there

Surf and Fish here too.......not at the same places.......Striper season, anything goes......