LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Strange goings on...I also cant stand the freshwater guys that leave line and hooks and sh*t everywhere where i hike.
    *Fishing's great, not knocking that or fisherman in general, just the ones that leave hooks my dog might step on.

**meant to edit my post not quote myself, not quite sure how I did that...it's that time of day.

Images
    New Jersey is the worst for some reason. I have never had an issue with fishermen in any state other than jersey. Even got a hook through my calf at second jetty Sandy Hook back in the 80's.

This does not seem to be as big of an issue in RI however we don't really have piers to surf

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post

I never see any fishermens catch anything anyways. WHat are you guys duing?

I think the fishermens are wasting there times. They don't catch anything.
    this. i spend hundreds of hours at the beach every year, there is always a fisherman or two nearby, and i almost never see them catch anything. maybe a twice each summer, i see a guy haul in a fish about the size of half a cheesesteak sub. at best.

Images
    It's because they are fishing at the wrong time and at the wrong tide. Fish don't have eyelids so they go deep during the day and come out in the evening and times of low light. You will rarely see someone pull a big fish out on a mid summer day in warm water. The people you see not catching anything don't know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    New Jersey is the worst for some reason. I have never had an issue with fishermen in any state other than jersey. Even got a hook through my calf at second jetty Sandy Hook back in the 80's.
    Oh its bad here in FL too. The two parties often end up in court. The only reason that it doesn't escalate is because most of the surfers are big into fishing as well

I surf, dive, fish from the surf and the yak. As a surf fisherman, you look for structure. same thing as when you are surfing. Fish will sit in the troughs between channels, and that is known to good fisherman. The guys you typically run into are the kooks of fishing. These are the guys chasing other people around throwing lines any which way and sitting there and waiting. Most experienced fisherman avoid these guys and fish primarily at night, when they don't run into many others, and these are the guys that are genuinely catching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    The people you see not catching anything don't know what they are doing.
    +1

And most of them are either not from NJ, or from somewhere north or west in the state, and don't have a clue 'cause they only fish when they can, not when they should. Just like a lot of surfers...

Images
    On a side note, once my funds are right, I would like to get into spear fishing during the summertime flatness.

I recall times in the 80s where people would paddle out with fingernail clippers and clip lines.