LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I recall times in the 80s where people would paddle out with fingernail clippers and clip lines.
    I believe there was a war at Sebastian Inlet between the surfers and fishermen
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Apr 24, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Because that is where the surf fish are feeding and they will be more likely to catch them. As far as your suggestion about wasting time, what is surfing all about if not wasting time, having fun and getting some exercise. Besides, I enjoy adding those fish that you claim I never catch to my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    On a side note, once my funds are right, I would like to get into spear fishing during the summertime flatness.
    It's addictive man. Wait for a sale at your local dive shop and you can get fully set up with some decent equipment for around $300. I hear there is some killer spearing around Ruggles--all the more reason to keep the area pristine. I'm bringing my gear the next time I go up there.

As far as surf fishing goes: most of the folks you see out randomly have no idea what they are doing--that's why they aren't catching anything. Most of the places I surf fish are NEAR places I surf but aren't exactly where I surf... or anyone else for that matter. But, in the rare instance the two meet it's a matter of who was there first--simple etiquette.

We have designated fishing piers that have a 100-200 yard zone around them for no swimming and/or surfing.

The dumbest thing I have ever witnessed was at the Pipe in CB. Surfers were out and some touron family decided it would be a great time to take their kayak and 80w (for those who don't know reels, this is the size primarily used for marlin and other big game) and try their hand at some shark fishing. They attempted to paddle their bait out in the kayak but luckily never made it and ended up tangled up in their own line and their expensive rod/reel combo getting dragged through the sand.

As someone who both surfs and fishes (25 + years for both), I understand both sides of the argument. However, surfing always takes first priority. I NEVER fish if there is even the smallest of surfable waves. However, I have had a few conflicts with guys fishing where I am surfing. I agree that fishermen can easily move up/down the beach if there are surfers in the water. Not too mention that fishermen are aloowed on the beach to fish without having to pay in NJ, which in its self is a whole other F**D up story.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    On a side note, once my funds are right, I would like to get into spear fishing during the summertime flatness.
    that appeals to me as well: never mind standing on the shore, waiting for a fish - go in after it, find it where it lives, shoot the bastard, then take it home and eat it. channel my inner Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    that appeals to me as well: never mind standing on the shore, waiting for a fish - go in after it, find it where it lives, shoot the bastard, then take it home and eat it. channel my inner Ernest Hemingway
    Sounds quite fun actually, and nothing better than a fresh catch for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDev View Post
    Not too mention that fishermen are aloowed on the beach to fish without having to pay in NJ, which in its self is a whole other F**D up story.
    Whaaat? There are some screwey rules up there.

You don't have to drop a ton of money on a spear gun. Just get a nice pole spear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    Hell yeah, give ya a good excuse to check out the bottom of different breaks too.

-Erock, I might have to pick your brain about this one of these days.

Images
    One day I was kayaking, it was small but intense. Somehow a jelly fish stung my forearm. Man, I freaked out. I started crying and paddled frantically to the shore. Once on dry sand I screamed in agony, and then I saw two nearby females. So I yelled, " Give me your Massengill, b$#@es, I need vinegar." They ran off.

Then I remebered urine. So I pulled my boardies down and tried to urinate on my arm, but my bladder was empty. Then I noticed two fisher dudes some thirty yards north. So, pants around my ankles, I jetted off to them. As I approached I started yelling, " Piss on me arm.....Piss on me arm."

I was severely beaten by these guys. Though I did forget about my sting. So, yeah, I do have a prejudice against fishers.