LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    it seems that Roy has built a style of board that does precisely what he wants it do. He also has a fairly unique way of communicating his perspectives. Both his (intentional lack of) surfing and communication style clearly do not resonate with some people. Its hard to see why some folks are getting so worked up, but the status quo rarely likes to be challenged and surfing definitely has a xenophobic "local" personality trait. For all the talk about the aloha spirit and other spiritual gobbledy-gook, there remains alot of petty "get off my wave" attitude. This includes Roy ragging Rarick for not liking his board. Whether he surfed it "right" or not, he didnt like it. I am pretty sure that Roy would rag one of Randy's boards, albeit with certain philosophical caveats.

Not sure that Roy's boards are for everyone (even at a lower price point), nor are any wood board, or meyerhoffer, or anything not being shown in sponsored shoots with perfect light and girls in thongs. Of all the things to get fired up about surfing, this seems really effing small.

I will probably never ride a Roy Royally expensive board but i am glad that there is somebody out there thinking his own thoughts and building a new style of board that makes him and some others happy. maybe some of his concepts will carry over or maybe they wont. isnt it supposed to be fun?

as for the cost, good on him for getting someone to pay those ridiculous sums for his boards. in commerce, something is worth what someone will pay for it. that is the market. his market is much more of a pure free market than almost anything else in this country. the really rich spend money on far more damaging things then a big-as wooden surf board.

PS: i want a ride report from the Shredmachine on SteveO's new Roy clone!

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Seriously?? Based on one ride report, of one board, found on Google you would draw your conclusions.
    You are either an idiot, or just have it in for this guy. Either way....pointless.
    Why would he have it in for a guy that trolls global surf forums, arguing with everyone and anyone, and self promoting to the point where he should be banned (or is banned)? Just crazy of yankee for feeling this way.

I am not saying I disagree with your overview of this specific instance, but there is a history here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    it seems that Roy has built a style of board that does precisely what he wants it do. He also has a fairly unique way of communicating his perspectives. Both his (intentional lack of) surfing and communication style clearly do not resonate with some people. Its hard to see why some folks are getting so worked up, but the status quo rarely likes to be challenged and surfing definitely has a xenophobic "local" personality trait. For all the talk about the aloha spirit and other spiritual gobbledy-gook, there remains alot of petty "get off my wave" attitude. This includes Roy ragging Rarick for not liking his board. Whether he surfed it "right" or not, he didnt like it. I am pretty sure that Roy would rag one of Randy's boards, albeit with certain philosophical caveats.

Not sure that Roy's boards are for everyone (even at a lower price point), nor are any wood board, or meyerhoffer, or anything not being shown in sponsored shoots with perfect light and girls in thongs. Of all the things to get fired up about surfing, this seems really effing small.

I will probably never ride a Roy Royally expensive board but i am glad that there is somebody out there thinking his own thoughts and building a new style of board that makes him and some others happy. maybe some of his concepts will carry over or maybe they wont. isnt it supposed to be fun?

as for the cost, good on him for getting someone to pay those ridiculous sums for his boards. in commerce, something is worth what someone will pay for it. that is the market. his market is much more of a pure free market than almost anything else in this country. the really rich spend money on far more damaging things then a big-as wooden surf board.

PS: i want a ride report from the Shredmachine on SteveO's new Roy clone!
    Wombat, you in cohoots with Roy? Maybe there's something in the water in the southern hemisphere and in NJ. I've remained relatively silent on his boards lately but have been vocal on the design on other threads. Roy has created such a buzz around his boards by asking so much money for them and by minimalizing other surfboard designs and construction methods.

He has claimed his boards are the most efficient and fastest out there. That's debatable but lets say they are for this conversation. What else is fast, long, efficient and doesn't turn well? Trains. Roy's surfboards are the surfing equivalent to trains. Sure some trains go really fast and can eventually turn.... I'd compare a train's turn to a surfboard's trimming on a wave. We've already had the turning/trimming conversation so we'll leave that alone.

Here's where the disconnect is, many surfers don't want to drive trains, they want to drive sports cars. They want to drive fast, turn, burn rubber, slam on the breaks and jam the gas again... all these things are terribly inefficient. IMO, terribly fun too. I asked Roy what car he drove or what his primary means of transportation was and he decided not to answer. That's cool.

You're right though, Roy makes a board for the way he wants to ride. More power to ya Roy! I'm working on my second HWS built to my specifications for the way I want to ride but I'm not building a train.

Steve, I'm still ready when you are!

As a relatively new member of the site I haven't experienced the whole Roy Stuart saga from the get go. I avoided the topic at first and didn't understand some of the comments directed at him. As I'm now a couple months I've gotten a bit more of the back story and checked out his site. Gotta say it's a very pure form of surfing, and the boards certainly are works of art (albeit ridiculously overpriced). He rubs some the wrong way, but then again any publicity is good publicity, right?
    I'm fascinated that he said Randy Rarick intentionally kooked it. Especially when I looked at Roy's website and found a review by Randy of another one of Roy's boards (13' something or other) that was legitimately critical, but overall very complimentary. In the end he said it was a really fun board to ride. And that's what this is all about, FUN! So Randy didn't like one of your boards Roy, WAAAAAAHHHHHH. Just because you disagree doesn't make it untrue.

And get surfing already Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Seriously?? Based on one ride report, of one board, found on Google you would draw your conclusions.
    You are either an idiot, or just have it in for this guy. Either way....pointless.
    Well, I never claimed to be Einstein but I don't think that I'm drooling on myself, either.

Come on Scottino, you & I have a little history from some other threads & you're still a tad irked with me, you can say it, I'll still read your material.

I don't have it in for "this guy" or anyone; "this guy" has made huge claims about his mega-priced board; he requested that a veteran, reputable surfer test drive the beast; the review was negative; creator of beast then launches personal smear attack on the reviewer. It is what it is. I'm not padding the tale of woe, it's there in plain sight. Well, it is for those who want to see the way & the truth, eh Scotty?

It's all semi-amusing.....because The Gnome is about as crazy as a fox. He revels in all this back & forth; it jacks up his google search pages and name hits; and ultimately he's hoping some goober reading The Robb Report will pay him $500k for that slab of kindling. The Gnome seems to subscribe to the theory that there ain't no such thing as bad publicity when you're pitching a product.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalowparkbob View Post
    And get surfing already Steve!
    He missed the one good day for the rest of the week. Today is an SUP day. However, this may be a good day to compare Roy's design to a typical long board. He only seems to ride it in waist high and above waves on the videos, yet we use longboards in less than knee high stuff here in the southeast. It doesn't seem like this board design would be the best for the really small stuff. Steve, when you heading out? I would love to join ya. We could compare to my 7'4" board, as it has no problems riding knee high swell.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    It's all semi-amusing.....because The Gnome is about as crazy as a fox. He revels in all this back & forth; it jacks up his google search pages and name hits; and ultimately he's hoping some goober reading The Robb Report will pay him $500k for that slab of kindling. The Gnome seems to subscribe to the theory that there ain't no such thing as bad publicity when you're pitching a product.
    Fair enough - If he sells one, I hope he shoots you off a bit of a commission for your efforts.
    Last edited by scotty; May 14, 2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

He only seems to ride it in waist high and above waves on the videos

That's funny, others accuse me of riding only knee high and below...

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

"this guy" has made huge claims about his mega-priced board

Such as?

Many people claim that I make 'juge claims' or 'wild claims' but these are usually manufactured on my behalf, please provide direct quotes when making these accusations.

; he requested that a veteran, reputable surfer test drive

No I didn't...Randy requested the ride... get your facts straight or stfu.

the review was negative; creator of beast then launches personal smear attack on the reviewer.

The facts are that Rarick rode half a dozen waves and fell off on most of them while riding from way back on the tail, ignoring the designer's advice regarding the riding position.

Thus he hadn't even achieved a basic level of competence, yet felt qualified to publish a bad review which was not compatible with the dozens of excellent ride reports from other riders.

As I said earlier he's either incompetent or untrustworthy, or both.

The Gnome is about as crazy as a fox.

Too tall to be a gnome.