LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Post #181 also Standing By...what's your status #182?...over

Has the FAA been notified?

Steve, your timing is impeccable....

Did you decide to wait until the swell was completely gone to take her out on her maiden voyage? When in times of turmoil, I have also considered attaching a sail to my wooden board and setting sail toward the Olde World, where the squirrel master can teach me the art of surfing without moving. Good Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Steve, your timing is impeccable....

Did you decide to wait until the swell was completely gone to take her out on her maiden voyage? When in times of turmoil, I have also considered attaching a sail to my wooden board and setting sail toward the Olde World, where the squirrel master can teach me the art of surfing without moving. Good Day.
    Have me rolling on that one, KB....."the squirrel master"...awesome

I am also interested in hearing why one would skip a whole Friday of clean knee to waist waves in favor of a Saturday with semi choppy barely knee high waves. I was out twice yesterday, and while not perfect, it was really quite nice. I had the longest ride of my life with my funboard. This should be interesting. Let us know when to look at the pier cam.

Images
    http://surfchex.com/follybeach-web-cam.php

It's after 1pm... anyone see Steve?

It's The Gnome, not Steve, who is posting & pulling the proverbial leg.

Not even DOD, NASA & TSA are gonna spot 'Steve.'

Not the biggest waves today and Friday would have been better but I'm a mon thru fri working man. I made the split decision to come out today because of Mckelvins surf cam. The surf looked better than was forecasted.After finding parking and a two block walk to the Peir I was turned away by lifeguards who informed me there was no surfing inbetween the yellow flags. I packed it up and headed to the free parking (in front of houses) just after the washout parking strip. The surf was small with the occasional three foot set. The surf really cleaned up later in the session. I set the board in the water for the first time and it was surprisingly boyant. I began the paddle out and immediately noticed how stable of a platform this board provides. i was able to keep my legs cleanly tucked on the deck with no overhang. i passed the initial sets with ease. The whitewater normally pushes me back a good bit on my foamie but this one broke through with minimal pushback. I got passed any whitewater or peaking swells quicker than I would have emagined. I was farther out than I needed to be. This board paddles a perfect ten!

To spin this board was not a chore. I took just a little longer than my 8 footer.

I spent most of the time in the surf getting adjusted to the board and were to place my body for good takeoff. I was positioning myself to far back at first. I didn't account for the tail sinking as much into the oncoming swell. After I corrected this I had little trouble picking up even little swells. Although I did sap a lot of my energy with the carry out to the Peir and back to the car. (4 blocks total) By the the time I became acclimated to the new board my shoulders were sapped and I didn't have good paddle power. The few sets I cought dissipated to whitewater by the time I popped up. Standing up I felt planted and steady but, I know I was off the sweet spot. This will take a few more sessions to get a good feel for the board.

Despite the limited conditions today I can see the potential I haven't tapped into yet with this board. I don't have any negative comments to make about the performance. It's a spectacular board.

That's awesome man. Good on ya. There's something special about catching a wave on a board you shaped yourself.

Images
    Alright then. Looking forward to the next update. Sounds like this new ride is going to work for you.

P.S.: You may want to invest in some sort of board schlepper to spare your shoulders and lengthen your sessions