Okay, so we have had this debate many times over in recent years, but now that I am living in a new area, I wanted to bring it up again...

For the record, when living in Southern California I was very against all the people who start trunking it in may, when the water is in the mid to low 60s... and only in certain years does the water really get in the 70s and stay there for more than a few weeks. So for the most part, until late July-August, I would always rock a wetsuit in San Diego...

As far as OC MD, i usually wait until the end of July and can go through mid-september in trunks comfortably... Again, unless you are a tourist and cant afford the gear, I also dont understand the guys in OC that would trunk it when the water temps were 65.

So with that being said, the surf was fun down here in Low Country yesterday... I was out with about 10 guys total.... about 4-5 SUPers, 3 other shortboarders and a few long boarders.... The air temp was about 75, mildy humid and scattered clouds... The water temp was around 67....

I was the only guy in a wetsuit... I understand the SUPers, cause they really dont hit the water often, but everyone else was trunking it... I thought, yeah maybe I could have trunked it, but for real, that water was still pretty cold... Its getting there....

But maybe in the SE where the air temps are pretty hot, people start jumping the gun early...

I think on my next session, I will give it a try... It should be almost 70 in a week or so...

But when is it actually time to shed the rubber? I like comfort and have no problem wearing a 3mil for that reason any time... But I typically wont even CONSIDER it until I see those temps in the 70s, and even then, I think 75 is where you truly are "comfortable"... Anything under 70 is just novelty cause everyone is excited....

Thoughts?

I told my wife this story yesterday and she responded with "Well, it sounds like you were the only pu$$y in a wetsuit then..." I died laughing...