LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Just push yourself a little more each time you go out. Small steps will get you down the road.

As everyone else has said, just get in the water as much as possible. With or without your board. One day when you're at that point when you usually would have passed on a wave, you're gonna have to just say "F&#@ it!" and go. You'll probably eat sh it. But you'll realize what you were scared of before, really isn't so bad.

And as far as being new to the scene and not knowing anyone, stick with the attitude you've got and keep showing your face. Show consistent effort and keep your humility (as you seem to be doing now), people will be much quicker to bro up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs05c View Post
    As everyone else has said, just get in the water as much as possible. With or without your board. One day when you're at that point when you usually would have passed on a wave, you're gonna have to just say "F&#@ it!" and go. You'll probably eat sh it. But you'll realize what you were scared of before, really isn't so bad.

And as far as being new to the scene and not knowing anyone, stick with the attitude you've got and keep showing your face. Show consistent effort and keep your humility (as you seem to be doing now), people will be much quicker to bro up with you.
    Most importantly, stay out of others way. you'll fit in faster if you're not a speed bump.

Images
    It kinda seems like you're trying to run before you can walk. Let me first say that you need to stick with surfing because it is a lifetime sport that you can be doing well into your senior years. I think right now the first thing you need to do is get your fitness in check. Check out the pro tour, those guy are tiny. Even the tall ones are 180 lbs at best. I'm 6'1" 220 right now and am working on getting down to 200 because I surf much better at that weight. I imagine if you cut 30 lbs in the process of learning to surf you'll be hooked for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    I imagine if you cut 30 lbs in the process of learning to surf you'll be hooked for a lifetime.
    Yes! The first full ride I had along a clean face hooked me for life. Now, I don't think I can imagine living without being able to surf. Even as I look at the blown out mush on the cams today, I am contemplating whether I could even get a ride out there.

Courage is what allows you to remain calm while recognizing fear and continuing to function effectively when there is physical danger present.

Don't kid yourself, the ocean is full of risk. Just last year a late beginner, some guy 42 years old died on a thigh-high day here in Jersey.

Suggestions for Improvement: You can begin to control fear by practicing self-discipline and calmness. If you fear doing certain things, force yourself to do them again and again, until you can control your reaction.

its only water, it doesnt hurt that bad.

that being said, know your limits. the ocean is a fickle and all-powerful mistress

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I'm totally serious here. Have you ever heard of the show WIFE SWAP? Well they take two families and switch the matriarch.

Well how aboot SURF SWAP? Yo, I'm not being a wise guy, either. Summer's coming here in the east and NJ is a great palce to get accustomed and confident in the water. The ocean is very user friendly here. No RV sized sharks, the water should be warm, and you'll definately feel more at ease than at zoo'ed out spots with Flea and Ratboy flying around or the spooky spots around Monterey/Carmel.

So we can switch places for a period of time.....It will do us both good.

On another note: learning as a kid is different because when you're 14 you are fearless(well many teens are). I know I threw myself out on any day no matter how big and sloppy and crappy it was. Today I'm like, " Nahhhh I think I'll pass on that..." Getting/being older friggin sucks. The world conditions you to be more cautious and fearfull of things. I'm such a sissy today compared to my oldself in all aspects of life. My God, it's horrible. Jeez, what happened to me, dudes ???? LOL Ahhhhhhhhh. Man, thanks OP dude, now I'm all contemplating my new sissy self. I really think I have to just say F it and hitchike across the country to get my mojo back.

Oh, if all else fails with the anxiety, maybe a little xanax will condition you out of your problem. Just take a low dose, and for God's sakes don't drink on that stuff or you'll find yourself sitting out at Mavericks one day. Good luck.

god your really on this reality tv grind arent you sbj?

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    Just burn one right before u go. Always works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Oh, if all else fails with the anxiety, maybe a little xanax will condition you out of your problem. Just take a low dose, and for God's sakes don't drink on that stuff or you'll find yourself sitting out at Mavericks one day. Good luck.
    He won't remember it either!

And what Gaff said, can't really add more than that..... well, definitely take PJB's advice about NOT drinking if you take a xany--I'd want to remember surfing Mavs.