LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

High Surf Advisory

So the weather channel just issued a high surf advisory for HHI for the next 2 days. Pretty excited, but disappointed that around here 3-4 foot justifies an advisory. We will see what happens. In OB, that advisory meant easily 10 foot beach breaks with 12-14 foot reef breaks. I used to get excited, anxious and barely be able to get to sleep the night before

Images
    Welcome back to the east coast in the summer Zach. Waves over three feet high and comfortable water at the same time?? People are gonna die! "HIGH SURF ADVISORY"!! "Moderate to Severe Risk of Rip Currents"
    Last edited by mitchell; May 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

I always assumed those were more for small craft and boaters.

Images
    They definately are for small craft and boats, but with that being said, there would be a high surf advisory for small crafts 5 out of 7 days of the week back west under the same circumstances. If 3-4 feet of windswell was worthy of warning the nautical world there people would never leave the shore. When in Rome I suppose. I'm just *****ing but hopeful and will take 4 feet here any day even with strong onshores.

Images
    Just had to say it. I've woken up many nights with that advisory, but like I said its a horse of a different color

Images
    Small craft advisories and gale warnings are more for boaters.

From the National Weather Service website:

"High Surf Advisory
    A High Surf Advisory is issued when breaking wave action poses a threat to life and property within the surf zone. High surf criteria vary by region"

@Zach - that last part about high surf criteria vary by region is pretty much the Weather Service's way of saying when you moved from SD to SC you became a noob.

The weather service is pretty into warning you about sh1t if you ask me...

I wasnt really aware of any huge storms right now, but every place on the map below in color is where the NWS is warning you something dangerous is going on...Montana looks safe today. Meanwhile you could get hurt by the weather in Texas in at least a half dozen different ways. Damn lawyers.

Last edited by mitchell; May 3, 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Well, I don't know about property damage, but if an inexperienced beach goer were out in the surf today, they may have been in trouble. It was nasty, and about worthless for surfing. It wasn't the size of the waves, but the cross current was flowing like a river. I didn't mess with it. When we have 4 ft waves and glassy conditions, they never put up an advisory.

Images
    Well that was a big waste of time... I went out anyway, despite the 35MPH north wide gusts and the terrible conditions... It was head high and super drifty/peaky. Paddled out and caught a couple waves in 15 minutes and already drifted a mile south... When I got out, I held my board by the leash and flew it up the beach like a kite. Not kidding.... It was worth a shot. I can not say many wet days were a waste of time, but indeed it was today... maybe tomorrow will clean up a bit... ugh.

Aw, too bad. That kind of wind is tough. But better than being indoors, no?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Aw, too bad. That kind of wind is tough. But better than being indoors, no?
    absolutely... I got wet. I got what you could consider "waves"... spent more time loading up the car though =) Ill get em next time.