LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

leash wrapped around legs

So today i took off on a decent sized wave got worked and somehow my leash ended up wrapping my legs togther underwater so that i could not kick to surface. It got pretty sketchy has this every happened to anyone else?

Happened to me the other day on a 23 footer, my pet narwhal luckily came to my rescue.

On a serious note, it really did happen to me the other day on some head high stuff. Not much you can do about it. Keeping your leash untwisted helps.

Images
    Pet narwhal...that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by burtonbrd31 View Post
    so that i could not kick to surface.
    Maybe you should try using your arms

I find that if you make yourself horizontal bend your knees and work it loose you can work some slack into it. Also practice treading water with just your hands.

Don't wrap your leash around your board or if you do, surf everyday so that it doesn't want to coil up. Or don't wear a leash.

But to answer your question, yes many times, nothing to get excited about, don't panic and kook out and just move your feet less, make smaller motions and ride the wave as if you're not tangled. Usually it's your brain registering a "problem!" which causes you to freak out and then lose your balance. Just don't think about it. Don't hold your breath while you're surfing. Gotta breathe. Calms the mind.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 6, 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Don't wrap your leash around your board or if you do, surf everyday so that it doesn't want to coil up. Or don't wear a leash.
    Yup- the ol rodeo wrap is fairly normal... you just gotta get use to it and deal with it... and know when its going to happen before it happens... expect it.

the best advise if your worried about it is the way that you store your leash, as mentioned above.... now lets say you wrap your leash around the fins and tail of your board... for one reason or another, you dont surf all winter, then summer comes and your ready to surf with the pros again and your leash keeps wrapping about your ankles... its cause the material the leash is made of has a "memory" so it will keep wrapping up in the same shape it has been sitting for an amount of time... so the best advise is to not wrap your leash- and hang from one end when not in use...

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

But to answer your question, yes many times, nothing to get excited about, don't panic and kook out and just move your feet less, make smaller motions and ride the wave as if you're not tangled. Usually it's your brain registering a "problem!" which causes you to freak out and then lose your balance. Just don't think about it. Don't hold your breath while you're surfing. Gotta breathe. Calms the mind.

Ive never understood why I see so many people wrap their leash around the tail of their board after surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Ive never understood why I see so many people wrap their leash around the tail of their board after surfing.
    I have to be honest, I typically wrap up my leash around the tail, so i am not dragging it up the beach. Won't do that going forward, thanks for the tip.

Images
    As far as the original question, its happened randomly to me before... if its not a big day or anything, nothing to worry about regardless, you can calmly get to the surface and get your leash worked out. If its big and you are way underwater, don't panic, just reach down to your ankle and undo the leash. I have had to do this on a bigger day because i got wrapped up in the sea beds/seaweed and was about 5 feet below the surface. I just unhooked my leash and swam to the top. My board was tombstoning, so I just ripped it loose and then put it back on... It happens sometimes....

But people speculate that Mark Fu died at Mavericks because his long leash tangled him up on the bottom at the reefs. Who knows....

But I always wrap the leash around the tail... Its usually a long walk and I have never had recurring leash issues because of it. But if you choose not to wrap the tail, please dont drag the leash... Thats similar to the guy walking back to his house with his leash still attached to his ankle... Tacky =)