LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Ive never understood why I see so many people wrap their leash around the tail of their board after surfing.
    I do it all the time, especially if I'm riding my bike and have a board on the racks or taking a long walk to get to a break. I just unwrap it later, usually, sometimes.

Images
    ya i still wrap my leash lol... it really does not personally bother me...

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I do it all the time, especially if I'm riding my bike and have a board on the racks or taking a long walk to get to a break. I just unwrap it later, usually, sometimes.
    Same here, I'll wrap it so it's easier to walk with, but as soon as I put my board up for the drive home I take the leash off and then when at home I hang it up to keep it straight. 60% of the time, it works everytime.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; May 6, 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Images
    Speaking of leashes, how about some reviews on leashes that can handle a trashing? I still use FCS comp leashes and I have no idea why... I have destroyed so many FCS leashes. Ive had creatures of leisure and some others... The FCS' always break where the metal ball bearing thing is... It rusts and then after one good romping, the thing just pops out... I have had FCS leashes with no metal just snap like a rubber band....

Are there any good leashes out there? Or are they all designed for about 4-5 months of daily surfing and then they crap out at the most inopportune time imaginable?

My worst leash snapping was on a Brand new Plus One. I put an old leash on the brand new board.. The first one I ever bought... I was surfing a small 3 foot or so day at Peskys at high tide... I pulled into a little closeout and popped through the back.... when I came up, I had a leash and no board. I swam and swam only at the last moment to see my brand new stick slapping nose first up against the cliffs. I had to do an ugly repair job and remove the whole nose.... The thing was never the same again... Rode like a dream but was just ugly... A sad day...

Damn you leashes!

XM makes a leash with a small sliding weight attached that works pretty well, especially with a 9' longboard leash. The XM leashes also hold up better then some of the others.

Images
    I have had a few dakine leashes that held up fairly well... one is a dakine comp leash that i got on a craigslist board trade... im suprised how it has held up... but i dont really 'use' it- or try to rely on it- i try to hold onto my board as much as possible...
    some of the cheapest junkiest leashes have proved to hold up well... poor boys (i think) ect... i had about 2 or 3 fcs leashes- they all broke rather quickly. they where all comp leashes. I got a really thick fcs leash on my long board right now that has not failed yet- but its the thickest leash i have ever seen... waiting for the metal to break on that one!!! or for the velcro to wear out!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    I have had a few dakine leashes that held up fairly well... one is a dakine comp leash that i got on a craigslist board trade... im suprised how it has held up... but i dont really 'use' it- or try to rely on it- i try to hold onto my board as much as possible...
    some of the cheapest junkiest leashes have proved to hold up well... poor boys (i think) ect... i had about 2 or 3 fcs leashes- they all broke rather quickly. they where all comp leashes. I got a really thick fcs leash on my long board right now that has not failed yet- but its the thickest leash i have ever seen... waiting for the metal to break on that one!!! or for the velcro to wear out!
    yes, Dakines have worked pretty well for me, but the comp leashes and the shortboard models all have that same metal ball berring and I have that eventually go on the Dakines as well.. I think they use almost the same designs, just better material than FCS.

And yes, its always healthy to surf without a leash sometimes. Did a few weeks ago just for fun. Did it all the time in CA at certain "no leash" local spots, just cause "when in rome", sometimes just at the beach breaks to make you commit to your manauvers, but at the end of the day, I still always feel so naked without that leash, its like last week when I was leashless, i finished a wave with a pretty simple layback snap. I layed all the way out on it, hit the lip and let it bounce right back to me. I will stick that 9 out of 10 times, and when I didn't have the leash, I just ass planted at the end and couldnt pull the board back under me... I think it was just mental... Right as I went into the turn, the leash was on my mind... It was a small day too... But there is definitely a mental comfort zone when leashing as opposed to not.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    +1 on Dakine

Images
    Ohh, and if you are ever south of the border, the only surf shop in Northern Baja is Sun Miguels in Ensenada, and DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT buy a leash there. I snapped one a Calafia, drove down and bought a brand new FCS leash from Sun Miguels and I sh** you not it snapped on my first wave. And not at the base, the leash snapped right in the middle of the cord, something I have never seen before. And I was stuck surfing big sh** for the rest of the day and swimming into shore. I had to move down to La Fonda so I didnt destroy my boards.

But needless to say, any FCS product in Baja is not legit, it was just a jump rope with an FCS tag on it. bastards.

Last new leash I bought was a Destination Surf from Mitch's in Solana about 18 months ago. Unless it's longboard day, it gets used about 6-7 times a week. Still holding up.