LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Board

New Board

Looking to buy a new board any suggestions would be great. I am currently considering a 5'10" Neckbeard by Channel Islands. I'm kind of looking for a similar shape and a five fin set up.

50 views and no response...probably because you give no info on your size or where you surf.

Channel Islands?...we have to guess you're a beginner with a load of cash. Why don't you save some money and help the local economy by having the most local shaper make you a custom board? There's also some great used boards around the surf shops and on ebay.

I'm about 5'10" and 190 lbs, Im not a beginner. I threw that board out there because I dig the shape but I do not know of anyone that rides one so I was trying to get some feedback on the board I surf around the Jax Beach area. I'm totally open to a different brand thats just the kind of the shape Im interested in.

i'm about your size & demo'd a 5'10" neckbeard from a local shop...i i found it to surf great once up & riding, but found that it was lacking in the paddling dept...& i'm a strong paddler. just a touch more float/volume would've made a big difference. held a 6'0" under my arm to compare & it felt HUGE. if i were to order one, i'd prob. split the difference & go 5'11".
    i'm not sure what shapers are in the jax beach area, but roberts has a bunch of great looking groveler-type boards... http://www.robertssurf.com/small-wav...ortboards.html

What about the weirdo? or Dumpster diver
    My recommendation the Disco by sharpeye @ sunrise surf shop

Thanks for the input I will definitely look into those boards

what are thoughts on quad vs thruster vs five fin

I just bought a chemistry beaker comp. its very similar to the weirdo ripper, and a lot cheaper. if you are looking for a small wave groveler that can handle a little bigger stuff, i recommend it. Took it to Costa and rode it in some nice surf up to a foot overhead. i'm close to your size (5'10"/180), been surfin 20 years, and ride the 5'9". I catch everything in the ocean on it. It has 31.8 liters of volume, and my normal SB has 28.6. More foam than I need, but don't want to go shorter. Highly recommend it, as I don't think the neckbeard will do very well in any type of real surf. That wide tail doesn't work well on a vertical face...

Quote Originally Posted by pcsurfer2 View Post
    what are thoughts on quad vs thruster vs five fin
    always go 5 fin if you're ordering custom. it's like getting 2 boards in one.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    Highly recommend it, as I don't think the neckbeard will do very well in any type of real surf. That wide tail doesn't work well on a vertical face...
    neckbeard will do fine as long as it's not super steep or longer period swell. the wide tail is necessary to tap into any available energy in smaller, weaker surf, & it actually sports a pretty hard edge in the back 1/3 of the board...it holds quite well. dumpster diver & weirdo ripper type boards will have a better top end, due to increased rocker & narrower tails, but won't perform as well at the low end for the same reasons.