LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 151

Thread: Close Calls

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    You seem to get defensive about some responses (ie. Erock saying you over estimated your ability). I don't think he intended to offend you.

    Originally I had no intention of offending him. It's different now, he's a proven Masshole.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Spicoli, I think that with this thread you've probably managed to piss off some of the nicer and more helpful posters on this forum. I would expect that you never get a helpful reply to a post again, nor would you deserve one. Respect and humility go a long way in the line up and out of it. It's the rubric. Did I use that right?
    If they are the "nicer and more helpful posters on this forum" then I fear for those they are superior to. Look guy, I gave an honest recap of an event that was a lot to take on many levels and opened myself for potential criticism in the effort to turn to vets I considered to respectfully pass on knowledge as I was sure everyone had been in something similar at some point. Instead, I got a firing squad of condescending a$$hole responses (in between some very helpful) that were very inflammatory, several of which fired away before even reading the facts of the situation and then putting words in my mouth.

    The first punches of disrespect were thrown by many on here, not me. If you look at my second post, it followed a battery of condescension yet I still had the patience to stay on topic and not make anything personal. You'd have to go back and read to see where the disrespect began and by whom, but it's obvious that reading previous posts before posting yourself is not a pastime some share on here.

    Until this debacle, I had been maintaining a positive existence on this forum and happy to be here which could be seen by my posts. I still like this forum but it's clear who to keep distance from.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,183
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I am getting out and surfing. 16 of the last 17 days. 110+ hours in the last 90 days. Each day I go out with a specific plan on techniques I'm working on that day so I have the most refined basics possible. If the waves or conditions aren't conducive to getting reps on that move, I identify another thing to work on because there are always parts of our game we can work on each day.

    - To your first point, fully agreed.
    - Second point, completely correct. I read about those things each day and try to learn as much as I can about them. I print out a tide chart, take notes on what I saw each day at my local breaks and at what tides and other stats. I also have an old school barometer that I compare the report with.
    - Third, correct again. With how fast and drastic things can change (especially at the spots I go), there is no substitute for live observation.
    - I do think about what I post. My longer posts clearly take time and they're detailed to give the full picture to those I'm asking for a response. The problem is that several on here don't think about what they post. Some also sit back as an armchair quarterback and fire away at people without reading all the prior posts in the thread to gather facts.
    My suggestion to you is to incorporate some fun into your surfing routine. You speak of all the hours you've logged like you're filling out a timesheet and you mentioned work three times in your last post. Practicing and progressing are great but let's not forget the point here. Are you earning $$$ from your hours in the water?

    No? Me neither.

    So after all your hours you've logged and work you've put in what do you have to show for it? A badge of honor so you can vibe the dude next to you because he obviously doesn't work as hard as you and couldn't possibly love surfing like you love surfing? Come, on man. You may need to smoke some spicoli special or find another release. I'm never as pent up after surfing as you are. We do this for the joy of being in the water and the rush of harnessing a piece nature's power I recommend you do the same.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    You write an essay about how you brought your friend out in solid surf when he can't surf. You say you want to teach him balance and paddling in 2-3 footers. But there is the occasional 9' wave (which did not exist in the NE on Sunday. I don't care what the other guys in the lineup said). Was the plan to dodge the 8'-9' waves while surfing the 2'-3' waves?
    You seem to get defensive about some responses (ie. Erock saying you over estimated your ability). I don't think he intended to offend you. Your description makes it sound that way.... Did you only want to hear that you did a great job and to keep it up? If you don't want true opinions don't ask for them
    Read before you write. The 9 footers were a week prior on a Friday night at one certain break at a certain time near sundown. Did a handful of 7-8 footers emerge right by the rock jetty during the time we were stuck in it? Yes. Does that mean that there were any sustained 7-8-9 foot waves or even anything close the rest of the day for the other 90% of the beach front? No.

    I wanted the feedback of many on here. Perhaps I was naive to think that it could be delivered with some level of respect and decency. Where I come from, you don't talk like that to people that you've never met or haven't done you wrong. And if you do, then you deal with their ensuing response.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,183
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Read before you write. The 9 footers were a week prior on a Friday night at one certain break at a certain time near sundown. Did a handful of 7-8 footers emerge right by the rock jetty during the time we were stuck in it? Yes. Does that mean that there were any sustained 7-8-9 foot waves or even anything close the rest of the day for the other 90% of the beach front? No.

    I wanted the feedback of many on here. Perhaps I was naive to think that it could be delivered with some level of respect and decency. Where I come from, you don't talk like that to people that you've never met or haven't done you wrong. And if you do, then you deal with their ensuing response.
    Around these parts you have to earn respect before you get it. You cannot demand it.

    Work that part into your life as my second recommendation to you.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    My suggestion to you is to incorporate some fun into your surfing routine. You speak of all the hours you've logged like you're filling out a timesheet and you mentioned work three times in your last post. Practicing and progressing are great but let's not forget the point here. Are you earning $$$ from your hours in the water?

    No? Me neither.

    So after all your hours you've logged and work you've put in what do you have to show for it? A badge of honor so you can vibe the dude next to you because he obviously doesn't work as hard as you and couldn't possibly love surfing like you love surfing? Come, on man. You may need to smoke some spicoli special or find another release. I'm never as pent up after surfing as you are. We do this for the joy of being in the water and the rush of harnessing a piece nature's power I recommend you do the same.
    I'm surfing every day because I love it. I love everything about it from learning the tides and breaks here, down to how elusive decent waves are some days to repairing my first dings the other night and doing a pretty good job at it.

    My commitment to an individual sport like this has nothing to do with the guy next to me and I've never indicated such. That is coming from you and it's not accurate. I'm putting forth the effort and enthusiasm each day because I don't engage in something unless I do it fully. It's who I am. That, and because of the fact there's always so much to learn and improve on in this sport, you'll walk off the beach much better each day than when you stepped on it as long as you maintained an open mind and sense of gratitude throughout the session.

    What do I have to show for the hours I've logged? You speak as if you're trying to talk me out of reverence and commitment to surfing. To answer your question, at the 90 day mark I can catch up to 50% of the waves I attempt from 2 footers to 9 footers, bottom turn frontside and backside, pump through whitewater to accelerate through it, duck dive larger waves, handle a wipeout from small to medium to large, paddle through tougher sets to get out back, etc. All those skills I can perform but in no way am I doing them all or most of the time or doing them soundly more often than not. Those are good basics but I still have many more basics next up such as angling into takeoffs better and more often, picking the right waves to catch based on their break, getting down the line consistently, getting back in the wave after a bottom turn, etc. To me, there will never be a point where I can't get better and learn more.

    Read some of my posts a couple weeks back when others were preaching about the stoke. There is nothing "pent" up in me, and definitely not when I'm involved in this great sport that I've recently found. It's laughable that I got tarred, feathered, and lynched in this thread yet when I finally put the dukes up it's looked at like it's me who's the angry, aggressive one.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Around these parts you have to earn respect before you get it. You cannot demand it.

    Work that part into your life as my second recommendation to you.
    What parts? The part where people are sitting behind a keyboard? Such formidable "parts" of society.

    How shall I "earn" this respect you speak of, so that I may not be subject to being talked to like a dog no one cares about or an ex-con?

    Your recommendations are like gold. Can I hire you as a life coach?

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,183
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I'm surfing every day because I love it. I love everything about it from learning the tides and breaks here, down to how elusive decent waves are some days to repairing my first dings the other night and doing a pretty good job at it.

    My commitment to an individual sport like this has nothing to do with the guy next to me and I've never indicated such. That is coming from you and it's not accurate. I'm putting forth the effort and enthusiasm each day because I don't engage in something unless I do it fully. It's who I am. That, and because of the fact there's always so much to learn and improve on in this sport, you'll walk off the beach much better each day than when you stepped on it as long as you maintained an open mind and sense of gratitude throughout the session.

    What do I have to show for the hours I've logged? You speak as if you're trying to talk me out of reverence and commitment to surfing. To answer your question, at the 90 day mark I can catch up to 50% of the waves I attempt from 2 footers to 9 footers, bottom turn frontside and backside, pump through whitewater to accelerate through it, duck dive larger waves, handle a wipeout from small to medium to large, paddle through tougher sets to get out back, etc. All those skills I can perform but in no way am I doing them all or most of the time or doing them soundly more often than not. Those are good basics but I still have many more basics next up such as angling into takeoffs better and more often, picking the right waves to catch based on their break, getting down the line consistently, getting back in the wave after a bottom turn, etc. To me, there will never be a point where I can't get better and learn more.

    Read some of my posts a couple weeks back when others were preaching about the stoke. There is nothing "pent" up in me, and definitely not when I'm involved in this great sport that I've recently found. It's laughable that I got tarred, feathered, and lynched in this thread yet when I finally put the dukes up it's looked at like it's me who's the angry, aggressive one.
    Like I said, it's impossible for anyone to love surfing like you love surfing. We get it.

  9. #89
    OK... Here's your feedback. If you can't handle the surf that is in front of you (no matter what the size is) don't go out.
    If chest high equals 7-8 foot then there was a ton of them..

    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Read before you write. The 9 footers were a week prior on a Friday night at one certain break at a certain time near sundown. Did a handful of 7-8 footers emerge right by the rock jetty during the time we were stuck in it? Yes. Does that mean that there were any sustained 7-8-9 foot waves or even anything close the rest of the day for the other 90% of the beach front? No.

    I wanted the feedback of many on here. Perhaps I was naive to think that it could be delivered with some level of respect and decency. Where I come from, you don't talk like that to people that you've never met or haven't done you wrong. And if you do, then you deal with their ensuing response.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Like I said, it's impossible for anyone to love surfing like you love surfing. We get it.
    Yup. Just take anything I say and mock it and throw it back to keep thinking you're coming out on top. So first I'm not having enough fun, now I'm having too much fun. At what point will you be satiated where you can STFU and sit down instead of throwing jabs? Make up your mind.