LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Here's an interview with the guy riding the sick reef break above

http://surf.transworld.net/100015978...ver-june-2013/

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    we're posting pretty much the same thought because we've all stroked into bombs on a the right board and know how good it feels. you don't use the 6' 6" all the time so it will last longer. mine is a Nev from the late
    90's 6'6" 18 1/4 2 1/4. its a little thin for me now but its still in pretty good shape. i only use a few times a year but when i take it out it's like game on.

what type fins do you guys use on these days? i always use a fin with more rake. i feel it gives me a better bottom turn that gets me in the spot for a good down the line run.
    I’ve got a 6’8” x 19.5” x 2.5” at 1.1ft³ Coil Qualifier that I either throw PC-7 or TC Aqualines on. I also have a 7’6” x 21” x 2 ¾” for days when the Qualifier seems a little under foamed. Not too many of those. It’s got a classic 70’s gun shape ending in a 6” real tight swallow tail. Lot of 6oz. glass and a lot of resin on a Clark Foam blank with a ½” stringer. Glassed in hand made fins. Goes real fast in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    You know i'll be getting another Coil, just a matter of time, i love the looks of the WB, M80, AND Qualifier, maybe do a blend of them, MD will hook it up when the time comes, probably late this year / early 2014. I'm going to push the limits of this FBF though, how big have you had yours out in?
    A couple of legit HH+ by California standards days. I feel like it will hold bigger than that no problem. I don’t like it in anything smaller than waist/chest high though, if it’s not a little juicy I grab something else. I’m guessing that at 6’4” x 21” x 2 and a lot and you only weighing in at 160-70, your board can handle mushburgers like a champ. It should ride fine in HH and I bet the extra volume will get you into waves really early. Bigger and steeper than that, I have a feeling you’re not going to like that wide fishtail as much. I could be wrong though, I've never owned a fish and never ridden one in anything bigger that waist/chest.

I wouldn’t draw too many comparisons between our two boards though. My board is a round tail, single to double concave with a relaxed rocker that’s two inches shorter than me and was made for clean California juice specifically as a big boy HPSB. Except for a little extra volume in the front, it bears 0 resemblance to a fish. That’s the thing about custom boards, they’re custom and no two are alike. That and the size difference between you and me and the size difference between the boards themselves make comparisons difficult. An equivalent board for you that would be good to compare to mine would be any round tailed board with a lot of volume in front that’s all business in the back, something like a Rusty Slayer, Lost Shark, Sub/Mini/Driver, CI DD, Coil FBF/M80, etc. in about a 5’8”-5’10”, 18’ to 19” wide and maybe 2 1/4” thick. Say about .85 - .95 in volume.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 8, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    A couple of legit HH+ by California standards days. I feel like it will hold bigger than that no problem. I don’t like it in anything smaller than waist/chest high though, if it’s not a little juicy I grab something else. I’m guessing that at 6’4” x 21” x 2 and a lot and you only weighing in at 160-70, your board can handle mushburgers like a champ. It should ride fine in HH and I bet the extra volume will get you into waves really early. Bigger and steeper than that, I have a feeling you’re not going to like that wide fishtail as much. I could be wrong though, I've never owned a fish and never ridden one in anything bigger that waist/chest.

I wouldn’t draw too many comparisons between our two boards though. My board is a round tail, single to double concave with a relaxed rocker that’s two inches shorter than me and was made for clean California juice specifically as a big boy HPSB. Except for a little extra volume in the front, it bears 0 resemblance to a fish. That’s the thing about custom boards, they’re custom and no two are alike. That and the size difference between you and me and the size difference between the boards themselves make comparisons difficult. An equivalent board for you that would be good to compare to mine would be any round tailed board with a lot of volume in front that’s all business in the back, something like a Rusty Slayer, Lost Shark, Sub/Mini/Driver, CI DD, Coil FBF/M80, etc. in about a 5’8”-5’10”, 18’ to 19” wide and maybe 2 1/4” thick. Say about .85 - .95 in volume.
    True, will keep that in mind. I'm actually more in the 170-175lb range (haven't seen 160 in a long time), and my FBF is actually 6'4"x21.5"x2 3/4, 1.4 V, flat bottom with a little V out the back, but it's got some nose rocker, definitely designed more to get into the mush better but was told it should handle some of the more juicy days as well, i'm just wondering where the top end really is.

FBF1.jpgDSC01014.jpgDSC01010.jpgDSC01011.jpg

DSC00998.jpgOne more, for full view

Nice board. I have a Firewire that is similar( 6 foot) and have had it in some OH conditions with no problems. I am also in the 170 weight range.

Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    Nice board. I have a Firewire that is similar( 6 foot) and have had it in some OH conditions with no problems. I am also in the 170 weight range.
    Nice, i've been able to catch 6-8 footers so far with this one, but wondering if that's maxing it out or not

not to throw the thread off but what your guys take on bonzers in big surf? i just got hold of a russ short 6'3"
    that i was thinking might be my new big wave board. i feel like the shape fits where my surfing seems to be going.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    not to throw the thread off but what your guys take on bonzers in big surf? i just got hold of a russ short 6'3"
    that i was thinking might be my new big wave board. i feel like the shape fits where my surfing seems to be going.
    Apparently they work in big surf:

For some reason, in my head I kept picturing that board as having a more traditional fish tail. That's pretty pulled in, almost a swallow. I bet you end up riding it in some pretty solid sold waves. Let me know what stripping the wax off that kick surface is like when you get around to it. It's the one thing that makes me a little skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    This just in from the shredmachine:

"HH to DOH I just work on my car or hit the gym. You groveling pu55ies can have it"
    lmao this is why I always come back.some funny shyt goes on in these threads