LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm no laird hamilton, so take this with a grain. A hand full of DOH days is the extent of my war stories.

agree with not being undergunned. Bring enough board to...

Get in early. You don't want to be dropping in late if conditions are critical, at least not at first.

Be smart. I tend to ride everything in sight in vb and that has gotten me in trouble on trips or during storms. A big meaty closeout is no fun at all.

"when the wave breaks, don't be there!" so true! Don't get stuck inside! Taking a few big ones on the head will ruin your day.

Man up! It usually takes me missing a good one to get in the zone. "Don't be a pu55y Lee!" The reward is ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    Man up! It usually takes me missing a good one to get in the zone. "Don't be a pu55y Lee!" The reward is ultimate.
    +1

Or being out with a buddy when you're both feeling the nerves a bit, and your buddy turns and goes. Whether he makes it or gets buried, after that, I always make myself throw myself over the ledge to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by frontsidecrotchgrab View Post
    Thats most breaks with long period groundswell...As for sitting, waiting for the sets or getting busy on the inside: It comes down to personal preference. Do you just want to get your wave count up? Or catch an outsider. Are the set waves the BEST waves in terms of shape?Are the outside waves mushing while the inside is barreling? All things to consider. There are more options when there is more wave energy...
    All great points, i guess to answer your question, i'm just trying to get my wave count up, so I guess I just need to decide if i'm going to sit waaaaay outside like ole Fitz does and just pick off the biggest set waves, or i need to just committ to being inside and doing late take offs, giving up those bombs on the outside. Greed might be the issue, i want them all... which causes me to constantly be on the hunt, back and forth, inside / outside, getting hammered by waves that size and being caught inside can take a lot out of you so I guess it's all about what kinda day you want to have HAHA, I usually am able to stay out of trouble but to get the big one you gotta be willing to take that chance of not making it, but have the mentality that you will, and you make that decision with a blink of an eye, just something i'm going to have to work on with more experience in waves that size.

agree with not being undergunned.
    I'm 5'9" 170-175 lbs, riding a 6'4" Coil Flashback Fish, 1.4 Volume (loats of foam), it's a cross between a Fish and a HPSB, I think it can handle waves into the 7-8ft range with no problem, but after that i'm not sure, there are good surfers who can probably ride this thing in just about anything but i'm not that good yet. It's the best board I got, so that's what i'll ride, my other options are my 8'1" McTavish 8 Ball, which is more or less a fun board at that size, but at my height it's what I call my LB, then I have my 6'10" WRV FunFish which is what inspired me to get the FBF. So am I undergunned? I'd say so if it gets any bigger than 8ft, but how often will that happen around here? When do most people start pulling out the guns? 10ft+???

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    So am I undergunned? I'd say so if it gets any bigger than 8ft, but how often will that happen around here? When do most people start pulling out the guns? 10ft+???
    Under gunned was a generalization, you don't need a gun.

Seems that what you have on your hands is a great small wave quiver. Some may argue, but fish are loose and can be sketchy in steep surf, in my experience. They usually have wide tails, soft rails, and little to no rocker. Maybe LBCrew or someone who knows the specifics of that one could be more helpful.

That longboard can handle the surf if you can, but it is pretty demanding to ride a log in big waves. If you really think you have a reason to get a board for bigger waves, I would go for a standard high performance shortboard, in 3 fin, squash or pin tail, and like 2-4 inches longer than your coil. Foam is your friend so don't go buy a pro model or anything.

I've got a pin tail 6'6 that is my traveler board but a far stretch from a gun. I ride it in anything over head high and steep. It's thick in the stringer, sharp rails, and lots of rocker.
    Last edited by leethestud; May 8, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Under gunned was a generalization, you don't need a gun.

Seems that what you have on your hands is a great small wave quiver. Some may argue, but fish are loose and can be sketchy in steep surf, in my experience. They usually have wide tails, soft rails, and little to no rocker. Maybe LBCrew or someone who knows the specifics of that one could be more helpful.

That longboard can handle the surf if you can, but it is pretty demanding to ride a log in big waves. If you really think you have a reason to get a board for bigger waves, I would go for a standard high performance shortboard, in 3 fin, squash or pin tail, and like 2-4 inches longer than your coil. Foam is your friend so don't go buy a pro model or anything.

I've got a pin tail 6'6 that is my traveler board but a far stretch from a gun. I ride it in anything over head high and steep. It's thick in the stringer, sharp rails, and lots of rocker.
    Gotha, thanks for the feedback, won't be getting anything new for right now, just got this Coil and getting use to it, but maybe down the line after I get more mileage out of what I got already.

this is a great advice. a 6'6" rounded pin thruster is a great board to own when you live on the east coast and surf a lot of beach breaks during big swells. there will be days when its big with strong offshores that you will be so happy that you have one. and it awesome to have one in the bag on surf trips.

DPSUP, this is probably all you'd ever need until the next Sandy pushes the big stuff your way. Red Beauty, Black Beauty, Lost Psycho Ward, Coil Qualifier in a 6'4" - 6'6" would all be a good step up type boards for OH+ to DOH. I'd get comfortable on a HPSB first though. You're kind of over foamed on that fish, but it'll get you farther along quicker. Once you start feeling that your fish is to sluggish and unresponsive, meaning you've gotten a lot better, I'd start thinking about a Widerboard, M80, Driver, Rocket, SemiPro, Fred Rubble type board first before going for a step up. All of those boards can be ridden from knee high mush to hollow, steep, OH+ conditions.

i find smaller is better in fast hollow beach breaks, but it really depends on the wave your surfing and shape of board.
    example - i'm 6'0 160lbs and pretty much stick to my 6'2 standard shortboard for just about everything from chest high beach break to DOH reef/points.
    i just broke my 6'2. my 6'0 is getting repaired so i took out my only other option - a 6'3 roundtail, lots of rocker, etc...in chest-head beach break and had so much trouble getting into waves. altho bigger, the shape is not right for those conditions.

commitment and concentration is super important too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    this is a great advice. a 6'6" rounded pin thruster is a great board to own when you live on the east coast and surf a lot of beach breaks during big swells. there will be days when its big with strong offshores that you will be so happy that you have one. and it awesome to have one in the bag on surf trips.
    Woops sorry, must have been posting the same thought : )