LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rising water temps

36 on February 8th, 42 on April 17th, and 53 today on May 7th. Don't at all mind the 11 degree jump in 21 days. Is that common? What are we looking at going forward? I've got a 3/2 coming in the mail tomorrow and while the 4/3 is great, I'm ready to put the thinner suit on.

Summer is on the way and it was well worth the wait.

Images
    its normal. but this year is colder longer then others then i recall.
    Wait till 60 for the 3/2- your be happy.

Been in 3/2 since water hit 50 and I'm just fine. Ditched the hood and gloves too here in NY. Never understood why some won't wear a 3/2 until it is 60. I guess some people just have no tolerance for cold. I literally have not felt cold in weeks. Can't imagine anyone else feeling cold either.

Images
    Yeah, ummm, why is there this obsession on here to shed the rubber too quickly? Some dudes have said that they are in the NE and have been wearing 3 mils and just boots since April? Really ? Why ? How?

The only reason to embrace summer's arrival on the east side is because you have to get through it to get to fall. Summer's a horrible time of year. It's too hot. It's too crowded. Flies......big green head flies that follow me up and down the trail on every day besides those with moderate onshore winds........Mozzies..........foxes that defecate of your slaps that you left on the beach.........dudes who surf for a few weeks a year who think they own the joint.......huge man-eating brown sharks cruising the line-up. The list goes on........

Summer time and the living's easy..........

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Yeah, ummm, why is there this obsession on here to shed the rubber too quickly?

yaaaahh... i never really understood this obsession either... idk maybe they got those super expensive heated suits.... i guess its time to bust out the suntan lotion while they are at it.... and the summer pro-spray ummm i mean summer bug spray
    Last edited by walkingonh2o; May 8, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    yaaaahh... i never really understood this obsession either... idk maybe they got those super expensive heated suits.... i guess its time to bust out the suntan lotion while they are at it.... and the summer pro-spray ummm i mean summer bug spray
    Agreed. See my thread from last week about "People already trunking it?"

Now, I live in the SE and the water temps are around 70 today, which is a lot different, but it was 65 degree water last week and guys were ALL out in trunks... I had my 3 mil and was good to go. Not hot. Just comfie... From now on that its in the 70s, I will go with the flow and trunk it.... But we had a nice debate about it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatSlyB View Post
    Been in 3/2 since water hit 50 and I'm just fine. Ditched the hood and gloves too here in NY. Never understood why some won't wear a 3/2 until it is 60. I guess some people just have no tolerance for cold. I literally have not felt cold in weeks. Can't imagine anyone else feeling cold either.
    Same I'm up in MA and i lost a glove in march so I've been surfing without em since.. switched to my 3/2 this week and been totally fine.

We got guys bare-backing it down here in NC's 65 degree water...I still wear my 3/2. Last time I checked they don't give awards for closest to hypothermic death without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by beezheels View Post
    We got guys bare-backing it down here in NC's 65 degree water...I still wear my 3/2. Last time I checked they don't give awards for closest to hypothermic death without dying.
    I disagree it's called a toe tag!

Quote Originally Posted by beezheels View Post
    I've been in 3/2 since 50 degrees and have not been cold once. Some people have better cold tolerance than you I guess.