LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone willing to teach a new surfer?

Alright so I'm mildly opposed to me posting this because well, people might get angry and flip the troll switch but I've already been out a few times and just havent had proper guidance from a friend. I know I'm doing some things wrong (still can't really duck dive or pop up yet) and I feel if I had someone in the area teaching me it'd go better. I'm not willing to drop cash on something a local floridian can teach me that I can also become friends with. So basically I'm just asking if anyone feels like sharing the art that is surfing, I'd really appreciate it. I usually go hit paradise and if you frequent that spot you can see my flipping over from sitting too far or wiping out on a too large for me to handle wave and get thrown into a tumble cycle. I know some people who frequent this forum live near me so, anyone wanna help? :P

Also, my learning ability is that I try to not show fear and just go for it. I learned to paddle, sit on my board, and catch waves. Just need popping up and duck diving tbh.

Also, trolls...go for it. I know I can't stop you but atleast be funny in your responses

If you ever make it up to Patrick's AFB area I might be able to help you out a bit, I don't live there but I frequent the spot, I normally don't make it down to Melbourne, but it's not too far from there.

I have a few ideas, and will do my utmost not to be too much of The Troll.

Film yourself, post it on youtube, put it on this post & then duck. Kidding about the ducking part; guys could post some advice & tips after seeing what you're doing. There are some vry experienced surfers on this forum who might share knowledge. Would likely be a first for this mashup, and you'd have brass cojones to do it, but I say go for it.
    or
    Save your money & go to Surf Simply in Costa Rica. Again, not kidding.

Now....
    If you see a guy in a speedo with his hair gelled and he's doing bench-offs in the parking lot before surfing.....walk in the other direction.

And whatever else happens, if you see a guy named Wayne making a beeline for you in the parking lot....? Run.

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    Ask EMassSpicoli. He will show you the basics. When your ready for some real juice, call the shredmachine. He will take to his secret spot in Jersey and you guys can trade 23 footers. Couldnt resist.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Now....
    If you see a guy in a speedo with his hair gelled and he's doing bench-offs in the parking lot before surfing.....walk in the other direction.
    I just cracked up!!!

Indirect, def get your benching game in check!!!

Good luck in your quest for knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    If you ever make it up to Patrick's AFB area I might be able to help you out a bit, I don't live there but I frequent the spot, I normally don't make it down to Melbourne, but it's not too far from there.
    I can easily make it up to Tables to surf but when I go it's usually pretty flat.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    I have a few ideas, and will do my utmost not to be too much of The Troll.

Film yourself, post it on youtube, put it on this post & then duck. Kidding about the ducking part; guys could post some advice & tips after seeing what you're doing. There are some vry experienced surfers on this forum who might share knowledge. Would likely be a first for this mashup, and you'd have brass cojones to do it, but I say go for it.
    or
    Save your money & go to Surf Simply in Costa Rica. Again, not kidding.

Now....

And whatever else happens, if you see a guy named Wayne making a beeline for you in the parking lot....? Run.

I tend to avoid the spots with people who have gelled hair and go to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    I just cracked up!!!

Indirect, def get your benching game in check!!!

Good luck in your quest for knowledge!

I really should work on my benching. And maybe even my ability to hit those 23 footers. I heard NJShredMachine just rips those.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    Ask EMassSpicoli. He will show you the basics. When your ready for some real juice, call the shredmachine. He will take to his secret spot in Jersey and you guys can trade 23 footers. Couldnt resist.

That just had me rolling man. I'm at work and got some weird looks for laughing out of nowhere.

Images
    Local surf schools? There have got be a ton in your area.
    When you are in the water, pay attention to what the more experienced surfers are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Local surf schools? There have got be a ton in your area.
    When you are in the water, pay attention to what the more experienced surfers are doing.
    I'd rather just have a one on one lesson without dropping a bunch of cash for someone's time. I'd rather make friends and learn to surf than pay some dude at ron jon's or something. For now I've just been paddling out no matter what the conditions were which is nice for when it's clean but even if I keep doing that I won't know what I'm doing wrong...just that it doesn't work.

i'm a noob surfer in brevard county and i usually drive north up to canaveral because the beach is so shallow i don't have to worry about the paddle out, i can just practice wave catching and popping up. i went once to spessard holland which has a steeper beach and couldn't get the board under, kept getting stuffed, and got real tired real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    I'd rather just have a one on one lesson without dropping a bunch of cash for someone's time. I'd rather make friends and learn to surf than pay some dude at ron jon's or something. For now I've just been paddling out no matter what the conditions were which is nice for when it's clean but even if I keep doing that I won't know what I'm doing wrong...just that it doesn't work.
    Deffinatly a good idea to do that. Ive found that paddling out (when theirs waves of course) even if its super choppy just gets you more experience at being a water man in general... Good Luck!