LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    I can easily make it up to Tables to surf but when I go it's usually pretty flat.
    Cool, next time you are thinking about paddling out on the weekend PM me and i'll see what I can do to help you out. This weekend looks pretty flat, so i'll probably be hitting it up north at the Inlet if at all. I'll be staying in NSB from Friday - Monday next week as well for Memorial Day weekend. So after that i'll probably be heading back down to Tables or the Pier depending on conditions. In the meantime, just keep paddling out and of course, bench press 400lbs in the parking lot just before you hit the water. WWNJSMD (What would NJShredMachine do)
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; May 8, 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Time in the water is more important than having a teacher, in most cases. Most surfers are no good at teaching anyways. I think that is why it is better to stick with a local surf school if you really have to have lessons.

I agree. The only advice I ever got from my buddies ensured a wipeout design for their amusement. Actually I did learn what not to do fairly quicky from them. Don't take it too serious and just have fun.

surf surf surf, there is no substitute for time in the water.

Okay, so I paid for three lessons at Lou Maresca Surf School in Brevard County. Here are tips: start off on a 9 foot soft top long board. The teacher stressed this and said "not 8 foot. 9 foot", it's stable and can catch even one foot waves on flat days. Also, said to either surf in Ft. pierce or Cocoa Beach because they are the best beaches for beginners in terms of the way the bottom slopes and waves break.

The rest is all practice. I started off by just riding white water, that is, let the wave break, then ride it in, to get the hang of popping up and balance. Quickly was able to advance to learning how to spot the wave, paddle for it and get up. But I bet it wasn't u til I was on my 30th session that I began to figure out the timing.

I still am terrible, but I can catch 3 footers, 4 footers sometimes if they are mushier, bottom turn and have a helleva great time. Just stay at it and try a 9 foot board. You can rent one at Wabasso surf shop on U.S.1 next door to Burger King near the 510 bridge,. Wabasso is the town on the mainland just south of Sebastisn, north of Vero. Cost you $25 for the day. You could probably rent them up by you too.

A few pointers from an experienced, well-intentioned surfer while you're both out on the water can work wonders in getting a beginner out of a slump (i.e., can't seem to do anything right) or catching bad habits in the making before they become ingrained.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    I have a few ideas, and will do my utmost not to be too much of The Troll.

Film yourself, post it on youtube, put it on this post & then duck. Kidding about the ducking part; guys could post some advice & tips after seeing what you're doing. There are some vry experienced surfers on this forum who might share knowledge. Would likely be a first for this mashup, and you'd have brass cojones to do it, but I say go for it.
    or
    Save your money & go to Surf Simply in Costa Rica. Again, not kidding.

Now....
    If you see a guy in a speedo with his hair gelled and he's doing bench-offs in the parking lot before surfing.....walk in the other direction.

And whatever else happens, if you see a guy named Wayne making a beeline for you in the parking lot....? Run.
    Yes free surfboards and surf lessons ages 7-17. Contact Wayne.

Impacting the coast for JESUS

Quote Originally Posted by sonfollowerssurf View Post
    Yes free surfboards and surf lessons ages 7-17. Contact Wayne.

Impacting the coast for JESUS
    No shame in your game, eh 'Wayne'....? Until you get busted, that is.

Dude drop some cash for lessons like everyone else.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    No shame in your game, eh 'Wayne'....? Until you get busted, that is.
    Hehehe...note the age range stops at that magical minor number.