LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Time in the water is more important than having a teacher, in most cases. Most surfers are no good at teaching anyways. I think that is why it is better to stick with a local surf school if you really have to have lessons.
    Agree. Nothing like just being out there. Make sure you are learning on a board that is big enough to build confidence. Watch people that know what they are doing,that will teach you as much as anything.Practice the pop-up on dry land...muscle memory.

Some good advice on here, but another thing to learn, learn the ocean. Watch how waves break, where they break, what happens when they break on people, currents, etc. I know this plays part in "time in the water". But the more you learn about the ocean the more comfortable you will feel while you are out there trying to learn to surf.

As I said, I already go out and hit the water whenever I can regardless of conditions or just if theres someone else out or not. I just think now I can have someone tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong before the habits become ingrained in my behavior while surfing.

If you don't find someone to teach you try to watch people that rip. You'll see what they are doing and may realize things you're doing wrong. Pay attention to them paddle and how they get to their feet.
    Make sure you are in a good position on your board (as far up as possible w/o tipping forward).
    You're already doing things right by being out there... Don't be affraid to ask someone in the water for tips too (warning... some people are just a$$holes).

Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    As I said, I already go out and hit the water whenever I can regardless of conditions or just if theres someone else out or not. I just think now I can have someone tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong before the habits become ingrained in my behavior while surfing.

What size board are you learning on and how often do you get in the water?

Read some books. I read a book by Bill Stewart when I was a beginner called "The Longboarders Start Up Guide" or something close to that. Really helpful instructions with photos.

Its a 6'2 UFO short board from Randy French. Not sure on the quality but it was a decent price and i can't stand longboards for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Read some books. I read a book by Bill Stewart when I was a beginner called "The Longboarders Start Up Guide" or something close to that. Really helpful instructions with photos.
    A buddy of mine just picked that book up at a garage sale, was just looking through it the other day.

Its a 6'2 UFO short board from Randy French. Not sure on the quality but it was a decent price and i can't stand longboards for some reason. Posted by Indirect.

probably going to take a lot longer to learn on something that short/small...
    buy/rent a 7'6-8'0 funshape, you will have an easier time progressing, then move down if you want.
    Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Hehehe...note the age range stops at that magical minor number.
    Yowsuh....sketchy creepy...the 'devil' is in the details, eh ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    Its a 6'2 UFO short board from Randy French. Not sure on the quality but it was a decent price and i can't stand longboards for some reason
    BOOOOoooooooooo, don't be a punk. For all things there is a season.