Ok here is the background - I picked up a beater 9' longboard on craigslist today for really cheap, with the intent to fix it up and have a summer board for next to flat days. Haven't done a super thorough inspection yet, but at first glance it seems to be in ok shape for being 10+ years old, not a ton of pressure dings on the top and the fin box and everything seems really clean. However, I've found at least 2 major dings that go to the core, one on the nose and one on the rail.

Unfortunately the other thing that happened to me today was that I got laid off from work... sucks, but I'd kind of seen it coming and started looking a couple weeks back. Hopefully something pops up soon, but in the meantime I can't really afford to spend a ton of money on this project. Right now I've got a small tube of sun cure resin, plus a few sheets of fiberglass cloth and a quart of evercote premium marine resin left over from an old boat project.

My question is can I use the marine resin/cloth on a surfboard? I feel like I heard somewhere that wasn't good, although if discoloration is the only issue I really don't care. I'd rather get it ride-able then spend more money on supplies. Could I use just the suncure and the cloth? What would you recommend? Also Q-Cell filler - should I get some? At $5 a baggy not a huge deal, but is it worth it? Any help is appreciated, thanks!