LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Surfing Alone

Images
    I spook easier alone too, but it beats not going out because you can't find a buddy to paddle out with.

Images
    I only go alone when it's calm and like waist-stomach high. Like today

It's good to have a policy to never be alone out there, its certainly the responsible thing to do. But those lonely sessions can be so fun. Everybody has a built in spidey-sense though, and if it tells you to get out, you follow it.

solo dawn session is the best.. that being said it definitely depends on your age, skill level and conditions. if it doesn't feel right, don't go.

BTW: always listen to your mother!!

On the water, in the water, and under the water, one should have a buddy.
    It's the safe and smart thing to do.
    Still, we out by ourselves. A buddy isn't often available. Most of my sessions are alone.

If I never surfed alone, I'd never surf. But I'll admit, it does kinda make you a bit antisocial. The more I surf alone, the more I want to. Maybe once a month I'll call this other old head to drag him out with me, but it's gotta be, like, chest high or under or he's not into it.

But surfing alone, at least for me, is not about testing one's self... or bravado... or bragging about it. It's just me being selfish and getting every wave I want, and escaping everything and everyone that occupies every other thinking moment of my life on solid ground. For that couple hours, it's me time. And it's a great buzz that keeps me mentally and physically healthy.
    Last edited by LBCrew; May 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfrat6 View Post
    solo dawn session is the best.. that being said it definitely depends on your age, skill level and conditions. if it doesn't feel right, don't go.

BTW: always listen to your mother!!
    Last year my mommy called and made me promise not to go out during Sandy. and NorIda. In 38 years I never got a call like that.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I spook easier alone too, but it beats not going out because you can't find a buddy to paddle out with.
    True dat...

George Thorogood drinks alone

Up until this winter, for most of my adult life I rarely called anyone to go surf. Chances are I would recognize a few faces in the line up, but was usually by myself. With this being the first winter I surfed throughout, I got into the habit of calling a few guys going into every weekend. Actually liked having a few friends out there, and if one guy wasn't feeling it, peer pressure always paid off.

As for the OP, at that age, its not about testing ones self, it's about having fun and staying safe. If you typically go to the same break, I would bet some of the older guys will start to recognize you and look out for you. Maybe your Mom, can hang around and watch for a bit, and get comfortable with your abilities and the break. Good luck.