LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    google search = beach clubs NJ
    Ok, still not getting it. Why would someone drop 20K$ annually for a tent on the beach? Why not just go to the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by boogitym View Post
    The shore is not open....it looks worse than ever to begin a summer...sure some staples are "open" but most towns still look jacked up and smell like mold. It ain't gonna be a great summer to pack the kids in the car and spend $10 to park and $8 each to get on the beach to use port a potties and have your kids play if sand that has god knows what in it. Plus the sound of constructions will be fresh in the air. Watching someone rebuild there life while you are trying to get your surf on changes your vibe real quick.

I understand we need to protect infrastructure, however a big sand dump could make things worse. $100 mil in contracts means a lot of money floating around for groups to "get work done quick."

How does making the beach wider (think wildwood) stop the ocean when its a full lunar high tide of around 8 feet mixed with a ten foot storm surge. The ocean will just go over the new wider beach quite easy I would assume.

At some level we need dunes...big dunes that block the ocean...think 50 foot dunes...but don't touch the shoreline at all....but prob block the homeowners viewed effectively lower property values....necessary evil at this point

Since Sandy most beaches are breaking much further out like it naturally would if we didn't dump a bunch of sand near the water's edge to create the dangerous shorebreak. This means the waves lose their power farther out and don't hit the shorebreak with such great force. This is how the ACOE wants the beach to "eventually be"....a nice gradual slope....THAT'S HOW THE BEACH IS NOW SO WHY NOT LEAVE IT....LET THE JETTIES YOU INSTALLED DO THEIR JOB....BUILD SOME DUNES...RUIN SOME VIEWS...DO THE RIGHT THING....ONLY SURFERS AND FISHERMAN GET THIS **** SO WE PROB GOTTA GET OFF OUR ASSES NOW.

NEXT YEAR PREDICTION....I will driving more to south jersey to take my family to a beach we can actually enjoy and not have to walk a mile to the water and dodge the dangerous non surfable shorebreak which will inevitably be created...
    Sandy Hook to Barnegat... Including Deal, Loch Arbour, and Allenhurst.
    It was a virtual wave wasteland from Long Branch to the Hook after they did the initial fill. Still is in SB and MB.
    They will destroy all of LB again, then all the way south.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Ok, still not getting it. Why would someone drop 20K$ annually for a tent on the beach? Why not just go to the beach?
    Old habits die hard. Use to be be for rich NYers and city dwellers.
    Now it's just a status symbol really. Sit by the pool or your cabana, order your $15 cheeseburger, and keep up with the Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Irish View Post
    Any thoughts on course of action? Seems painfully obvious that beach replenishment does not work. They have been doing it for the last fifteen years or so, and Sandy still wrecked us. Just look at South Seaside Park which has a pretty substantial dune system, they seemed to fare better than most.
    It's coming like a freight train..unstoppable really, especially since it's free this time, and it's after Sandy. There's only one option- push for more access. Some towns have passed on the ACOE plan because they mandate access be provided. Believe it or not some towns would rather have no beach than allow the public to use a new beach.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    google search = beach clubs NJ
    Dammmm zaGaffer.... I would ask him to meet me at my break if he spoke that way with me.

its like a country club. if that helps you. did you ever see the flamingo kid?
    Last edited by Peajay4060; May 15, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    its like a country club. if that helps you. did you ever see the flamingo kid?
    Only the one in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Dammmm zaGaffer.... I would ask him to meet me at my break if he spoke that way with me.
    Shouldn't you be standing on one foot with a coffee cup?

Seriously though, I must be missing some vital piece of information here.

I've been to country clubs, but what's to stop someone from just walking down the beach somewhere off club property and paddling out in front of one these over priced beach yurts if they don't have a membership?

Only the one in Vegas.

Shouldn't you be standing on one foot with a coffee cup?

Seriously though, I must be missing some vital piece of information here.

I've been to country clubs, but what's to stop someone from just walking down the beach somewhere off club property and paddling out in front of one these over priced beach yurts if they don't have a membership?
    nothing really except life guards with no surf zones. and a long walk to someplace that isn't much different then the place you walked onto the beach.

I don't know if you recall, but a year or two ago a guy posted on here about getting called out of the water by the cops because he was surfing in front of one of these country clubs. I can't remember if he got ticketed or not, but either way it doesn't make much difference. I guess they feel that their private cabanas and all the pampering isn't enough, they think the ocean belongs to them too.

It was pointed out in that thread, that they cannot regulate past the low tide line, so they are way off in their thinking, but because they're rich it has to be so.

I feel bad for all the communities that were affected by Sandy. I personally don't live in Jersey, but Sandy could have easily done a lot more damage to my area than it did. And to have some bigshots come into your town, and sit around and relax, while the people of the community flounder stinks something foul.

i couldn't agree more.

but, not all beach clubs are 20k. back in the day there were some reasonable ones, but as mentioned earlier, turned into a status symbol thing. when i was a kid i tagged along with friends whose parents belonged to one, and they got to keep all their beach gear in their cabana, set up a grill, stocked the fridge with beer, etc. there was also a bar/restaurant to order from. young kids could jump in a pool that had a lifeguard so the parents could enjoy their time there too. in that regard that i can understand the draw, but for way less than 20k obviously. also, it created seasonal jobs for a NJ shore communities, can't tell you how many friends worked at beach clubs.