Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

East coast hurricane stories.

i though this would be a good convo, who doesnt like reminiscing on the past drinking some 40s on the walk over?

there was nothing good that I remember about Hugo..working 17 hrs a day , taking showers in cold water with a flashlight drinking hot beer

This wasn't a hurricane, but bad weather.

Camped out in outer banks and one of the nights, thewinds pick up, it started really coming down and then we heard the alarms going off.

We ditch the tent and pack 4 guys into a small Tacoma. As a bolt of lightning flashed, we saw the water spouts pretty fvcking close to us. Decide to head for cover. Pull into one of those Easter egg color, 7 story houses on the beach side and park under the house. A buddy of mine checked the doors of the house and one of em was open. We spent the night watching the storm on the weather channel and stealing all their TP.

#college

IRI, cloudy rainy day and the line up was empty, maybe 7 people out. 4 to 6 foot and glassy! Waves were spread out so you didn't have to sit on top of each other. Not a hurricane, but a good day! Ps, it was prob 18 years ago but I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

One of my fondest was Irene... I had boarded up the house and hunkered down for the storm. It came and went, and as soon as I took all the plywood down and stowed it away, I ran down to my local to see the biggest and most perfect surf I had ever seen at that beach. It was 15' (faces) and absolutely barreling... long, clean, fast, firing rights, as hollow as you can imagine. I had my 7'0 rounded pin ready to go, and got it like that for a solid hour before the swell started to fade. By sunset it was still solid overhead and tubing. Without a doubt, the best day I've had up here since I moved here 21 years ago. Right size, right conditions, right board. Biggest, driest barrels I've ever had in my life... drier than Tres at the same size.

This video was south of where I was, and shot after the swell started to back down.

Last edited by LBCrew; Jul 26, 2016 at 03:35 PM.

Hurricane Bill 2009.
    Andy Irons surfed Manasquan Inlet in the afternoon.
    Then surfed Sea Girt the next morning in 8-10 foot (face) hurricane swell. Peter Mendia was there too.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Hurricane Bill 2009.
    Andy Irons surfed Manasquan Inlet in the afternoon.
    Then surfed Sea Girt the next morning in 8-10 foot (face) hurricane swell. Peter Mendia was there too.
    Oh yeah....early AM, I went out during said storm--12-14fr faces. Only one other person could get out (I managed by pure luck). Took 45 minutes to break through and get out. I take off on very large left...up and down--when I get to wave top, I look back and I see giant foam balls coming. I kicked out, turned to beach, and rode a foam ball in all the way. Got to beach, absolutely exhausted!! One of two times in my surfing career I was glad to make it back in. Way too much water moving around, paddling was very hard. The other person did same-one and done.

Had a good time with Bill too. I was at Nuns Beach, riding my trusty longbort. Dropped into a huge left, a little late, and felt my fin come out and the tail start to slide. I held on, and made the drop when the fin reconnected. Rode that b!tch for several blocks, all the way in, headed back to the car and swapped out fins and rocked the rest of the day!!!

20160303_093422.jpg

First fin was the Harbour HP 10? (second from right), upgraded to the Velzy B-2 (far right). The Harbour is great in smaller stuff, but once it gets HH+ the Velzy gets the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJAQ View Post
    Had a good time with Bill too. I was at Nuns Beach, riding my trusty longbort. Dropped into a huge left, a little late, and felt my fin come out and the tail start to slide. I held on, and made the drop when the fin reconnected. Rode that b!tch for several blocks, all the way in, headed back to the car and swapped out fins and rocked the rest of the day!!!

20160303_093422.jpg

First fin was the Harbour HP 10? (second from right), upgraded to the Velzy B-2 (far right). The Harbour is great in smaller stuff, but once it gets HH+ the Velzy gets the nod.
    What's the middle fin with the cool woodwork?

Quote Originally Posted by cjtst11 View Post
    What's the middle fin with the cool woodwork?
    It is a custom fin I bought from a guy in San Diego. I (rarely) use it in a 2+1 configuration.

The (baby) hatchet is from a futures set, that has two V2 side fins, and the hatchet center.

The small orange fin is for a thruster setup, using futures twin fins in the sides that are the same size.