LOGIN | REGISTER

DuckDiving on Board with lots of Volume

I just got a new board, but I'm wondering about the volume(my ability of duck diving on it). The boards dim's are 5'9" 18 inches wide, and 2 1/8 inches thick. The thickness is what I'm worried about. My weight is 93 pounds. Did i make a sucky choice buying this board? Or do I just have to practice my duck diving ability.

you can definitely duck dive that board. its been a long time since iv been 93 pounds, but I would think you can duck dive the way you normally do. If you do have trouble getting the board submerged try pushing the nose under at an angle. here is a clip of some guy duck diving a longboard using this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfUQ_AsrO4

Congratulations on your new board, give it a try. you can practice on a flat or bad day in deep water, keeping the eyes open can help to judge depth and to avoid obstacles or caves.

Thanks guys... Love the community so far, I'm pretty new to swellinfo. I'm just used to a thinner board, but I'm gonna be surfing some bigger breaks so decided to step up. I'm wondering if my struggle is that I'm used to having a traction pad for traction, but I don't have one for my new setup.

Welcome to SwellInfo SurfJetty.
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; May 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post
    you can definitely duck dive that board. its been a long time since iv been 93 pounds, but I would think you can duck dive the way you normally do. If you do have trouble getting the board submerged try pushing the nose under at an angle. here is a clip of some guy duck diving a longboard using this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfUQ_AsrO4
    This times 100. Shove one rail down first, then the rest of the board. That's the whole trick man, 5'8" or 10'.

Do some bench offs before you get into the 23ft range.

Thanks ZaGaffer. And everybody else for the feedback!