LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catmaster2 View Post
    yea i've just seen some good vids of the place and it looks fun but didn't see anybody get too deep there and it looked liked there were some brown circles in the waves so i thought that meant that it was a sand bottom if there was sand that rose to the top. but now i see why no one tried to get deep since there is reef at the bottom
    There is sand stack around the Rock wall, but think of it like this: pipeline has sand all over the bottom around the reefs and at the end of the left. There is usually sand on and around any reef break, but in the critical areas of the wave it's all coral

ahh yea that makes since

Sand over a flat rock bottom. Most intense wipe outs. You will hit the bottom. One of the most insane waves to make.

I've only seen it break once....and I did not paddle out. That backwash is terrifying. The whole thing is pretty terrifying honestly. Surfed Wildo instead.

And yes, PR spongers are the absolute worst.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    I've only seen it break once....and I did not paddle out. That backwash is terrifying. The whole thing is pretty terrifying honestly. Surfed Wildo instead.

And yes, PR spongers are the absolute worst.
    Spongers of Boricua are the best!!! It is mostly the attitudes of foot surfers from the USA that are the problem. I recall this longboarder that dropped in 3 times on a bodyboarder at Maria's Point. He didn't do it a third time but he did become very well acquainted with the rock ridge line of the 2nd rock punta and the inside shore reef. I recall mentioning something to him the first time he dropped in during the paddle back to the break and he said something like, "It is only a bodyboarder." I replied, "That isn't how it works in PR." Guess he ended up finding out how it works.

I have been worked rather well on just a 3 to 4 foot wave at Gas Chambers. It was quite an adventure surfing that wave during the pre-leash days.

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Spongers of Boricua are the best!!! It is mostly the attitudes of foot surfers from the USA that are the problem. I recall this longboarder that dropped in 3 times on a bodyboarder at Maria's Point. He didn't do it a third time but he did become very well acquainted with the rock ridge line of the 2nd rock punta and the inside shore reef. I recall mentioning something to him the first time he dropped in during the paddle back to the break and he said something like, "It is only a bodyboarder." I replied, "That isn't how it works in PR." Guess he ended up finding out how it works.

I have been worked rather well on just a 3 to 4 foot wave at Gas Chambers. It was quite an adventure surfing that wave during the pre-leash days.
    If you call taking absolutely every wave, regardless of position, "the best", I guess. I'll let them take pretty much every wave, especially when I first get out, and the respect is rarely if ever returned. I don't drop in on spongers in PR - they drop in on me.

Every time I'm out anywhere in PR I'll hoot the spongers into a ton of waves, in the hopes that when I'm in position for just a decent wave (not talking set wave), they may let me surf it alone. It's been rewarded only a few times. It seems almost cultural - they drop in all over each other too.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    If you call taking absolutely every wave, regardless of position, "the best", I guess. I'll let them take pretty much every wave, especially when I first get out, and the respect is rarely if ever returned. I don't drop in on spongers in PR - they drop in on me.

Every time I'm out anywhere in PR I'll hoot the spongers into a ton of waves, in the hopes that when I'm in position for just a decent wave (not talking set wave), they may let me surf it alone. It's been rewarded only a few times. It seems almost cultural - they drop in all over each other too.
    Depends, at Maria's it gets very crowded especially when it's going off, I was able to get into some waves on a average day and had it all to myself at DP for about 30 minutes before the crowd started to trickle in, but being the 1st in the water at 1st peak helped me out because anybody who came after allowed me to stay in position for the most part and didn't disrespect me in anyway, most locals I ended up talking to were very chill and also very helpful when I had a question, but when it got BIG is when it turned into a zoo, everybody on the island seems to be dropping in at the same time. Maybe that increases the adrenaline for them and they like it, IDK

if crashboats / gas chambers isn't doing it's thang, you can get some delicious Maco shark on a stick from the food vendor in the parking lot. Oh, baby, yes.