LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    All this local-centric talk lately has me thinking about who the worst people I've ever been around in the lineup are and where they are from. This is completely anecdotal, all about blanket statements and over-generalizations, so don't anyone take this personally and start whining about anything other than what I'm whining about. Got it?

Worst People in the Lineup:

1) Italians: They're always in Barbados, I have no freaking idea what attracts so many of them. I've had them repeatedly fade me, friends and locals I know down there. Seen them get called out of the water, slapped around, yelled at and they still don't seem to get it. The worst was one who almost landed on my head at Soup Bowl on a 3' OH day when I was tucking up under the lip.

2) VA Beachers: I have never seen as many paddle-arounds and senseless paddle battles in one session than those around VA Beach locals and/or transplants. This goes way, way back to my grom years when Hotwax used to run a pro-am and I surfed the 17th St. comp a couple years and having to be around large groups of Vabeechers in the warmup areas. First time I have ever seen kids intentionally sit right underneath you to block you off waves. Not to mention every trip to the OBX I have ever been on--it's almost guaranteed if you have miles of beach to you and a couple buds a group of Vabeechers will paddle out right beside or on top of you. Hell, there are a couple transplants here who do the same thing to this day. They don't usually crowd me out too much because they know I'll just run over them now but they straight up harass my best friend sometimes

3) UNCW Students (excluding Gnaractually, never met him in person but he seems like a standup dude): Beside the fact they all seem to think it's cute to drive down the right turn lane and cut in front of the line of people doing the proper thing waiting for the drawbridge at WB... even though this act of complete selfishness and disrespect relegates them to below rancid douche status in my book, I still think they are worse in the water. This definitely dovetails with the VA Beach factor somewhat, I'm sure. The problem with most UNCW surfers is they are "Summer Pros," and those who do surf in the winter suck just as bad too. It's almost guaranteed if someone ditches their board in front of you, cuts you off only to fall, paddles for the shoulder of the wave you're riding and getting in your way instead of duckdiving the whitewater behind you, back paddles you at Masonboro then has the audacity to ask for a ride on your boat back to WB and/or any other kooky thing you can think of--it's almost surely a UNCW student.

So, what's everyone else's top 3 WORST PEOPLE TO SURF AROUND?
    I surf in Myrtle Beach and as you know we dont get that great or waves. When we have big days it seems like everyone on the east coast will come out and try to own the wave. Key word Respect.

3) UNCW Students (excluding Gnaractually, never met him in person but he seems like a standup dude): Beside the fact they all seem to think it's cute to drive down the right turn lane and cut in front of the line of people doing the proper thing waiting for the drawbridge at WB... even though this act of complete selfishness and disrespect relegates them to below rancid douche status in my book, I still think they are worse in the water.
    I try my best to never let anybody in when they come up on my right, and it was just as bad when only one lane was open each way and people turning from wrightsville ave. would get in the right turn lane and cut up front.

And as far as over-generalizations go, your top 3 is spot on, but I would put UNCW students first.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    I try my best to never let anybody in when they come up on my right, and it was just as bad when only one lane was open each way and people turning from wrightsville ave. would get in the right turn lane and cut up front.

And as far as over-generalizations go, your top 3 is spot on, but I would put UNCW students first.
    Block those sonsabitc*es.

Brazilians make friends all over. Last time I was at Playa grande, CR, there was a bunch of Brazilians who got into it with the local Tico death squad. Had cops patrolling the beach and the hotels for a few days as death threats were issued. funny thing but I am not that great a surfer and didnt have any issues with the Ticos despite some occasional crossed signals. Show respect, get respect (or at least tolerance).

Images
    ha, playa grande is exactly where I saw that poor Brazilian behavior, too. Never had any problems with ticos there - it was brazilians, an american ex-pat snaked me on purpose for no reason and some french kook dropped in because he was clueless.

What pisses me off is that I'm a good surfer, a good paddler, can read and catch a wave, and I make it known as soon as I paddle out...yet these asshole still do this ****. Do that to people that have lost their credibility, not the guys who are doing everything properly and taking their turn

Quote Originally Posted by northendcanyon View Post
    You're just not acting aggro enough. When someone tries to paddle around me to get onto the peak I chose for that day it never ends well for them. If they don't drop in on one set wave, it only takes one, I will not even look their way the next time I'll just drop in on them. I will let them know I'm going to do that by saying it, not to them exactly, more to myself, in a manner that might make them question my sanity, and then I do exactly what I said. Usually they were just going to pull out again anyway but I give them the excuse to at least act like they were a charger, you know, they would've went but I cut them off. It's a win win for both of us, I get the waves and they don't have to look like sissy's. Eventually they will take a mediocre wave that I wouldn't even blink at down the beach a ways, and having blown their muscles trying to keep on my peak in the first place it's doubtful I see them again. Of course there's always the next jabronbron that wants to challenge the champ.
    I hate surfing with THIS guy.

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    it was just as bad when only one lane was open each way and people turning from wrightsville ave. would get in the right turn lane and cut up front.

Haha! Spot on there! I was going to start a thread about that a little over a month ago when we finally were getting some warmer days and it seemed to draw all of them out of the cracks. I was about to have a conniption one day when I swear I saw at least 20 cars, all with UNCW stickers, pull that chitt while everyone waited through 3 or 4 light rotations in the outer turn lane....

But that brings me to something else... and maybe these people are farking up the lineup too: The idiots who let the people trying to cut in line into the freaking line! Makes me see red just thinking about it.

Quite a big social and psychological burden many of you take out into the surf, I prefer to leave any of that stuff on the beach.

If other surfers are treated as natural hazards then one can stay chilled in most situations. That's what I do and it means that drop ins don't bother me, I just navigate accordingly.

So, if someone drops in on me because I paddled out past them or inside them then so be it...that's their decision... as Duke said "wave comes".

Haha! Spot on there! I was going to start a thread about that a little over a month ago when we finally were getting some warmer days and it seemed to draw all of them out of the cracks. I was about to have a conniption one day when I swear I saw at least 20 cars, all with UNCW stickers, pull that chitt while everyone waited through 3 or 4 light rotations in the outer turn lane....

But that brings me to something else... and maybe these people are farking up the lineup too: The idiots who let the people trying to cut in line into the freaking line! Makes me see red just thinking about it.
    Like I said, don't give em space to get in, just give them the bird or at least a good hard stare.

And I've heard that they are doing the other side this fall? Hurricane season is going to be ridiculous

I'd go with:
    1. Roy
    2. Steve
    3. Roy / Steve

....as the worst to surf with.
    Last edited by yankee; May 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM.