LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 171
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    55
    I'd say Jersey, but I have way more experience surfing there than Florida. I lived there most of my life. I'm considering a move to Florida though. Northern Florida by Jacksonville area. I hear it's good, but I hear it isn't that good. I don't know.

    And if Paddington Jetty Bear isn't South Jetty Bill/North Sea Wall will then I'm Gruvi.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by surfordie View Post
    I'd say Jersey, but I have way more experience surfing there than Florida. I lived there most of my life. I'm considering a move to Florida though. Northern Florida by Jacksonville area. I hear it's good, but I hear it isn't that good. I don't know.

    And if Paddington Jetty Bear isn't South Jetty Bill/North Sea Wall will then I'm Gruvi.
    It's good. I am not sure how you are personally, but I would trade some wave consistency for warm water any day. I haven't used a wetsuit in almost a month. It is even better in FL.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by barrels4liam View Post
    that article is a good case for New Jersey. It says that the last time Florida had swell better than New Jersey was in October and that was for the 1 in 100 year Sandy Swell. That's 6 months! LOL! You have two swells in 6 months where the waves were better. We had a good deal of very big swells in December, February, March, April and May. Only January was a bust. I have 2 friends who went to school in Florida. They surfed there for four years. They say Florida doesn't even hold a candle. They do say that the surfing life in Florida is more appealing with the temps but the waves suck except for a few hurrican swells.
    Head high waves every couple weeks sucks for the East Coast? I would say your friends were in the wrong part of Florida, btw.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,296
    I agree with those who think there's a difference between, "what state has better surf," and "where's a better place to be a surfer."

    You also have to throw out the freak epic swells, and the rare prolonged spells of flatness, in both places, and really focus on the mean... the average day that you surf 90% of the time in both states... to get a good comparison.

    Personally, I love FL. Particularly from the northern part of Central FL on up to the Georgia line. If I lived in FL, that's where I'd want to be. There are a few islands in that area that are truly amazing places, with good surf. But the power of the waves there just does not compare, IMO. The surf there is "fun" and even more of a performance wave... kinda like south Jersey. But if you like powerful, fast, steep, challenging waves, like most spots in north Jersey, you'll always feel like there's something missing in FL. Keep in mind I'm talking about the average day of about chest high. A chest high wave in Cocoa Beach or St. Augustine just does not have the punch of a chest high day at most spots in Mon/Ocean Counties... especially in the winter, when the water's cold and dense, and heavy.

    I know a lot of Jersey guys who have gone to school in FL (four years or more), who say the surf in Jersey is better, meaning the quality of the waves. In fact... I even know a FL guy who has a house in Jersey (lives in FL most of the year) who says the surf here is better.I don't know anybody, personally, from Jersey who says FL is better. Anybody I know who's spent a lot of time in both places says Jersey is better.
    Last edited by LBCrew; May 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

  5. #65
    florida sucks. the wide continental shelf sucks the life out of every swell that passes through and other than hurricanes it's mainly play waves. floridians do have a code red sized inferiority complex as evidenced in this thread however. and anyone touting the gulf should just kill yourself now. seriously..

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    florida sucks. the wide continental shelf sucks the life out of every swell that passes through and other than hurricanes it's mainly play waves. floridians do have a code red sized inferiority complex as evidenced in this thread however. and anyone touting the gulf should just kill yourself now. seriously..
    If that was the only thing that matter for good surf, OBX would be as good as Cali. Take a look at a marine chart sometime. FL has a drop off that is very close to shore, and this can help with waves. I think both sides have shared their doses of inferiority complex.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    If that was the only thing that matter for good surf, OBX would be as good as Cali. Take a look at a marine chart sometime. FL has a drop off that is very close to shore, and this can help with waves. I think both sides have shared their doses of inferiority complex.
    south swells travel further to get to the north and the winds tend to be more favorable as well. look, i grew up surfing up and down florida's coast and now i'm in ny/nj and it's not even close. sure there are some great days in florida but it's simply more consistent and powerful up here and if you want to surf something approaching 'real waves' you need to come north... but don't!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    south swells travel further to get to the north and the winds tend to be more favorable as well. look, i grew up surfing up and down florida's coast and now i'm in ny/nj and it's not even close. sure there are some great days in florida but it's simply more consistent and powerful up here and if you want to surf something approaching 'real waves' you need to come north... but don't!
    No thanks. I have been to NJ more times than I wanted. Half my family lives there. That state is not for me. I like where I live, and wouldn't trade it for any other place on the east coast. As I have said before, we have 3 uninhabited islands in the Charleston area. That is my idea of heaven.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I agree with those who think there's a difference between, "what state has better surf," and "where's a better place to be a surfer."

    You also have to throw out the freak epic swells, and the rare prolonged spells of flatness, in both places, and really focus on the mean... the average day that you surf 90% of the time in both states... to get a good comparison.

    Personally, I love FL. Particularly from the northern part of Central FL on up to the Georgia line. If I lived in FL, that's where I'd want to be. There are a few islands in that area that are truly amazing places, with good surf. But the power of the waves there just does not compare, IMO. The surf there is "fun" and even more of a performance wave... kinda like south Jersey. But if you like powerful, fast, steep, challenging waves, like most spots in north Jersey, you'll always feel like there's something missing in FL. Keep in mind I'm talking about the average day of about chest high. A chest high wave in Cocoa Beach or St. Augustine just does not have the punch of a chest high day at most spots in Mon/Ocean Counties... especially in the winter, when the water's cold and dense, and heavy.

    I know a lot of Jersey guys who have gone to school in FL (four years or more), who say the surf in Jersey is better, meaning the quality of the waves. In fact... I even know a FL guy who has a house in Jersey (lives in FL most of the year) who says the surf here is better.I don't know anybody, personally, from Jersey who says FL is better. Anybody I know who's spent a lot of time in both places says Jersey is better.
    I hear ya, everybody has their opinion, and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Jersey sucks by any stretch, i know you guys get it good up there too, but I think you guys put a little too much emphasis on heavy barrels, sure they are great and all, but there is a lot more to surfing than getting pitted or shacked, I personally enjoy variety, and THAT'S what makes Florida superior IMO. We have so many different types of waves, it's not all barrels all the time, and i'm glad, I like to mix it up a bit. If you know the spots, and don't mind driving a little, this place has it all.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; May 21, 2013 at 01:00 PM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    2,605
    Images
    6
    I'm not getting involved in this debate, but I do want to say I feel bad for guys living on the gulf, that's gotta be rough...and also, as inviting as that florida water looks, when there's guys trunkin it while we're still in 4/3's, I love the promise of cold water crowd control, and I love late fall-early winter in the NE.