LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

ticketed surfing

cant believe i got a ticket today for surfing. i was at the pier at 15th here in vb and got waved in by "marina police" and they wrote me up. No lifeguards there were blowing us in, received no warning, and i was very respectful. there are skimboarders that skim under the pier and there were swimmers closer than 200ft. i dont understand why the lifeguards didnt even give us a warning.... the current was pulling us into the pier as well. Should I go to court or just bite it and pay it off. I'm not really worried about it on my record, just the principle. Any advice guys?

what was the charge/what did they say you were doing that you weren't supposed to be?

Images
    surfing within a no surfing, no swimming, bodyboarding zone. i was barely in it and the sideshore wasnt helping. it isnt even memorial day yet. they never enforce anything until then anyway

I think you can surf anywhere until 10 am then we are confined to the area between the jetty and sixth street. They usually have some kind of signage around stating the hours. I can't believe they stroked you a ticket before memorial day though. Summer is almost here unfortunately with all the nonsense that comes with it.

yea, that's kinda bs. fighting it probably won't get you anywhere since technically speaking, you were out-of-bounds. you were just unlucky enough to cross paths w/ that douchebag cop who feels he's gotta flex his muscle & prove how tough he is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vbslophopper View Post
    I think you can surf anywhere until 10 am then we are confined to the area between the jetty and sixth street. They usually have some kind of signage around stating the hours. I can't believe they stroked you a ticket before memorial day though. Summer is almost here unfortunately with all the nonsense that comes with it.
    yea its like 9-4 no surfing mon.-thurs. and 9-5 fri. sun. between memorial day and labor day. o trust me. i live down here at the oceanfront. its already begun. but its how our town does well. lineups are gonna be crowded again.

What time were you there? I put in 4 hours there today. I was the first one out there by the looks of it this morning. Around 930 through about 1030 there were 2 cops hanging out at the shoreline and appeared to be "waiting" for someone to get out. Perhaps they were looking to ticket or they saw the 23 foot swell the Hindu models were rippin and wanted to have a bench off. I dunno

North side or south side of pier?

I think if you surf within 200 ft of the pier at any time they consider that the violation, regardless of the season. They probably consider it a safety issue with the fishermen's lines so close to the pier and not wanting any surfers kissing the pilings under the pier or getting hooked in the mouth by a fisherman. You could probably look the violation up online for an explanation.

they hate freedom in Virginia beach. Is it a people's republic yet? The City "needed" more police boats, and they got them. Only problem for us is that they are going to have to write a lot of surfing tickets to pay for the $2 million dollar custom built drug interdiction boats. I mean, only the finest for VB's finest to scream at you through a megaphone on...