LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    I go straight towards the sand till my fins dig in and I get launced. None of this right/left, front/back BS for me!
    Straight Handers FTW (for the win, not the Bobby Martinez ***** the world)

Like the view backside better, but much more capable frontside. Always working on it...

One of my favorite breaks is primarily a left, there for I go backside a lot and feel more comfortable backside. Im definitely not as strong front side but it doesn't really matter. ill go whatever way gives me the better ride

Uncle Irish I've been surfing for 30+ years too. I have to remind myself that most guys our age (I'll be 45 in July) couldn't paddle out much less catch anything. As long as your out there having fun catching waves it's all good!

no preference. we see mostly lefts here so as a goofy i surf frontside a lot. i like to surf back side just because i don't get to do it often and i feel like im going more vertical on back side off the lips. if that makes any sense.

started surfing an LB again recently on smaller days. had trouble backside at first because i was standing the same as i would on a short board. im finding it easier to stand almost straight up with both feet almost parrallel to the stringer and doing drop knee turns. it makes surfing right or left almost identical and makes walking on the board easier too. I forgot how much fun long boarding can be.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
    Uncle Irish I've been surfing for 30+ years too. I have to remind myself that most guys our age (I'll be 45 in July) couldn't paddle out much less catch anything. As long as your out there having fun catching waves it's all good!
    Good point K-Dog. (I'll be 44 in June)

Yeah i dunno i feel that going frontside i can make it pass more sections, and kinda see the wave, and what its about to do a little better.

Shortboard... my backside bottom turn is weak, but my top turn is good... more powerful than my frontside top turn. So I end up taking off at an angle going backside... late drops no problem. But once I'm up, it's all good. No preference other than knowing my backside bottom turn is not a strength. Bigger barrels either way... smaller barrels frontside is better cause it's a better fit.

Longboard... Backside bottom turn and frontside top turns I do a drop knee turn, which is super fun. Walking backside and tip time backside feels really cool... better than frontside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    Its easier for me to get barrelled backside, but if its small and mushy (usually is here) frontside for sure.
    wow, easier to get barreled backside??? im shocked. its the exact opposite for me. i feel i have much more control and can get as tight and small as i need to in order to fit in a frontside barrel. i get way deeper and can pull in way easier going frontside.

but to answer the question.
    i feel like im pretty much even when it comes to frontside and backside for most waves, with a couple exceptions. like i said above, when its barrelling i prefer a frontside wave. and when it starts getting 8'+ i feel more comfortable going frontside, but wont hold back from going backside either.

im amazed at how many of my friends wont even take a backside wave. they grew up only going frontside and now any trip we go on, the question is always, "what is the right to left ratio". haha. sucks for them