LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 fin setup

Thumbs up 5 fin setup

hey getting a new board with a 5 fin setup. just wanted to see what different configurations people are using for different conditions and different experiences people have had. foiled out side, flat inside? center inside flat out? what kinda response are you getting? gettin a little weird: anybody ride unsymetrical ie larger fins toeside and smaller heelside?

a lot of what you're asking about is dependent on the type of board in question & what kind of conditions it's designed for. i'm not using the same placement or fins on a super-groveler type board as i am on a hpsb.

Images
    Bruce Mckee will take you to school.

http://www.mckeesurf.com/

I ride one fin on the left side for 1'-2'... One on the right for 2'-3'... One on the right and center for 3'-4'
    Thruster tri set up for 5'-10'... Quad for 15'-20'... All five for 23'+

Images
    i just got a five fin board a few months ago i have to say ive had some issues with it, i got it because i loved everything about the board but the only thing in question was the fin set up so i was like w/e. i feel like it has to much drag on it, but other times its fine. ive taken off fins and tried a thruster on it and a quad but it works better but not so well with the 5 fin set up. it very strange to do a turn with it almost like it doesnt want to go lol.

The ...Lost bottom feeder I picked up came stock with futures quads and a nub/guitar pick trailer for the 5th fin. Find the nub 5th stabilizes things nicely when the swell's up at a break that tends to favor a steeper wave face.

I used to think the same thing. But if Slater (and others) ride them without issue it must be me, not the board

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    i just got a five fin board a few months ago i have to say ive had some issues with it, i got it because i loved everything about the board but the only thing in question was the fin set up so i was like w/e. i feel like it has to much drag on it, but other times its fine. ive taken off fins and tried a thruster on it and a quad but it works better but not so well with the 5 fin set up. it very strange to do a turn with it almost like it doesnt want to go lol.

Images
    yeah ill agree with you on that i mean if he can surf a table, then well i should spend a little more time on the board to work out the kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    wait...are you trying to ride it w/ all 5 fins in? b/c that could be the problem (unless the 5th fin is a nubster/guitar pick type fin). it's not *really* a 5 fin...it's a tri/quad convertible & meant to be ridden as either a 4 fin or a 3 fin.

ive been riding a 5'5" quad + nubster for a couple of months now and it is so drivey and suited to my style of surfing which is mostly drawnout powerful carves