LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Wilmington NC

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5

    Wilmington NC

    My wife and I are considering relocating to Wilmington NC. I know it can get some surf, but beyond that, how is it as far as living, raising a family, and all that good stuff. Any feedback would be helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    20
    Been down here 8 years myself. Awesome place to live and raise a family. Traffic can get a bit congested in the summer, but which coastal community doesn't. Super bonuses for you...June-Oct. you don't need a wet suit...and hurricane swells...but only 22 footers...if you want 23, you'll have to move to Jersey.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the feedback beezheels, much appreciated. Is there an area that you would suggest that is good for families with a good school system? I think we are planning a family trip out there around early September. It would be nice living next to the coast again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny View Post
    Thanks for the feedback beezheels, much appreciated. Is there an area that you would suggest that is good for families with a good school system? I think we are planning a family trip out there around early September. It would be nice living next to the coast again.
    Look at topsail. Less crowded, great school system. WB gets freakin nuts in the summer. CB is nice as well, kinda wish we moved closer to one or the other. I'm about 5 miles from WB and it takes me 20 minutes from house to water if that's any indication of traffic. And that's if I can find a parking spot right away.

    Man I am not looking forward to another summer of finding parking.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central li, topsail island nc
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    Look at topsail. Less crowded, great school system. WB gets freakin nuts in the summer. CB is nice as well, kinda wish we moved closer to one or the other. I'm about 5 miles from WB and it takes me 20 minutes from house to water if that's any indication of traffic. And that's if I can find a parking spot right away.

    Man I am not looking forward to another summer of finding parking.
    love topsail.. been going there for 25 yrs.. have a place there now as well

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    love topsail.. been going there for 25 yrs.. have a place there now as well
    I surfed Topsail / Surf City in early March. My first trip there.

    Impressed.

    Off-season, and several owners getting the rentals prepped for the summer hordes. People easy to talk with, hang out with. Honestly the waves were really decent, esp the south side of that pier. I don't know if that's the norm (probably not, don't anyone go there it sucks dead moose.....was that ok, guys?).

    I just liked the area, from Surf City down through 'the island.' Would have liked to explore the off-road zones in my truck, and Ft Fisher & the stuff south of that, but ran out of the most precious currency of all: time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    192
    If you are worried about the school system, Hoggard is the public high school in southeastern nc, regardless of any school rivalry. Hoggard and New Hanovers Lyceum academy produce the most and best college bound students, but Hoggard draws students from friendlier neighborhoods

  8. #8
    i can't tell you much about the economy. but raising your family can be great as long as your kids don't get into the wrong crowd but if they find the right ppl to hang out with then its quite nice. lots of stuff to do, mostly in the summer in carolina beach. and the local surfers are really nice and easy to get to know and be friends with.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    20
    I am a teacher as well. The schools at Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach are both top notch.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5
    Awesome, thanks again guys.