LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilmington NC

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Busting airs View Post
    Not trying to rain on everything's parade but NC sucks brahh. If you want a town with very little night life, no waves, and low education levels I suggest you think twice and not move there...
    Ahhh, why this little nugget made me chuckle so much, I don't know. But I guess I'm like The Koki Barrels because it was just fantastic. His initial few words showed empathy and considerstion creating a situation for the reader to let his/her guard down just a bit, before the subsequent blast of a harsh, to-the-point statement. I'm starting to like this guy more and more. And the use of "Everything's parade," was just spot-on.

Man, The New Jersey is strong with this one.

The economy is the major detraction here. Other than that, it's an amazing place to live. Schools are average, depending on where you're coming from but they've improved in the last decade. I live in "mid-town" and couldn't be happier. I'm 15 minutes from both beaches, w/out summertime traffic, and 15 mins from downtown. It, supposedly, has the better school districts and the housing is affordable. You're not going to get rich down here, unless you are extremely motivated and lucky, but the quality of life is amazing. It's lacking in some of the areas that some larger cities are not, like sports teams, quality nightlife (i.e. music and restaurants). That's fine for me coming from a larger city and knowing that Raleigh/Chapel Hill and Charlotte aren't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by jml7140 View Post
    The economy is the major detraction here. Other than that, it's an amazing place to live. Schools are average, depending on where you're coming from but they've improved in the last decade. I live in "mid-town" and couldn't be happier. I'm 15 minutes from both beaches, w/out summertime traffic, and 15 mins from downtown. It, supposedly, has the better school districts and the housing is affordable. You're not going to get rich down here, unless you are extremely motivated and lucky, but the quality of life is amazing. It's lacking in some of the areas that some larger cities are not, like sports teams, quality nightlife (i.e. music and restaurants). That's fine for me coming from a larger city and knowing that Raleigh/Chapel Hill and Charlotte aren't too far away.
    And if you come somewhere the size of Wilmington and expect it to have a lot of the things your major metro has.... you're just delusional and should probably live around the craptastic rat race known as RTP, because you can obviously get rich up there being unmotivated and doing nothing for yourself because luck is on your side.

On another note, after further reflection on BustedShards posts I have also noticed some of the genius going into how he formulates them. Definitely becoming a fan... I'm going to write a country song about him.
    Last edited by Erock; May 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Adding the caveat regarding our newest memeMachine

Images
    My wife and I are actually moving to Carolina Beach next month from PA. We have been visiting there for years and everything has worked out this year with my wife landing a great teaching job just over the bridge to CB. Such a great area, people are really nice, beautiful beaches, and that nice slow Southern vibe. It's very refreshing from the fast paced rat race up here in the Northeast.

If you want any help with the actual moving process, realtors, and the people who have been helping us out I would be more than glad to give you some info.

Whoever thinks any state North of NC is better is a moron. North Carolina is the best place on the east coast to live - nice people and laid back life style.... I grew up in the Outerbanks and moved to Wilmington to go to school (UNCW). I graduated and moved to VA Beach (job offer) for 4 months and absolutely hated it and moved back... if you think the summer traffic is bad to Wrightsville Beach, try the everyday traffic in Hampton Roads! I have lived in Wilmington for about 6 years and honestly love it. Definitely has a consistant wave, but never gets really epic like the outerbanks does. I work a corporate job downtown, but get up and surf everymorning before work. Some schools are bad and some are good... just have to do your research.

Images
    born in NJ, lived all over the US, been in Carolina Beach for the last 10 years - my two cents on everyone else's two cents:

- quality of life here is as good or better than most parts of the US.
    - if you've lived in any metro area in the US, than you would know that traffic here is a piece of cake.
    - schools are good, although the CBES principal does not have a lot of fans. Island Montessori rocks.
    - pay scale is lower than other parts of the US but basically commensurate with the cost of living.
    - Dudicles is right - Wrightsville Beach is highly overrated. Topsail or CB are great communities, but CB is a lot closer to Wilmington.
    -dlrouen also nails it - Wilmington is a city ascending, both economically and culturally. i too would not even cross the bridge in the morning if i didn't have to go to work.
    -Erock & jml7140 makes good points as well: the entertainment options are not major league but you don't have to deal with all the crap that goes along with living in a major metro market. for me, it was an easy choice.
    -BustingAirs is a troll, probably a young one, who's likely never been anywhere. don't feed the troll.

Hanna... You're last comment said that I was young (early 20s) a troll (hardly) and has never been anywhere (I've travelled to every continent). Do yourself a favor and take the tobacco out of your mouth while you're listening to Garth brooks and say it to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Busting airs View Post
    Hanna... You're last comment said that I was young (early 20s) a troll (hardly) and has never been anywhere (I've travelled to every continent). Do yourself a favor and take the tobacco out of your mouth while you're listening to Garth brooks and say it to my face.
    No one wants to talk to your orange fake tanned face.

9. Hey I live in Kure Beach and lived in Wilmington for 10 years. I love it. Like dloren said if you live on the island you never wanna leave and sorta live in a little community where everyone knows each other. Very friendly.. Chill... And the last two days we've had waist to head high sets rolling through...it gets crazy on the 3 big holidays in the summer but there's always a place to surf... And busting airs is full of it. Everything he says is copied and pasted off wiki... His so called surfboards are the exact dimensions of Kelly slater and taj burrows boards. He probably just googled "Kelly slater surfboard" and pulled it off there... I mean, who goes from nj waves to surfing jaws??

Hey kurebeachsurfer You're the homo that caught waves that were .55334 inches tall everday for a year for dumb kids that can't walk! Man up you redneck hick white trash inbred and being that noise my way! Oh yeah,, I forgot, you won't!!