LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wilmington NC

Quote Originally Posted by kurebeachsurfer View Post
    Busting air/shredmachine/"Kelly slater"
    The dumb kids that can't walk?? This is the event that I raised money for surfing everyday...
    Attachment 7651Attachment 7652Attachment 7650

Why joke someone with disabilities?

Just Go surf Jaws with your 5'9" surfboard...
    You are a good person, and shouldn't worry about the trolls. We need more surfers representing the sport like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    Look at topsail. Less crowded, great school system. WB gets freakin nuts in the summer. CB is nice as well, kinda wish we moved closer to one or the other. I'm about 5 miles from WB and it takes me 20 minutes from house to water if that's any indication of traffic. And that's if I can find a parking spot right away.

Man I am not looking forward to another summer of finding parking.
    love topsail.. been going there for 25 yrs.. have a place there now as well

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    So let me see....you lived in Hampton Roads for four months, and now know what its like to live in "any state North of NC"

Right....because Maine and Rhode Island are pretty much just the same thing as Hampton Roads.
    Sorry... didn't mean to hate on the way northern states... yall have better peeps, but its tooo cold for me up there - we have about 7 months of non-wetsuit surf which is a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    love topsail.. been going there for 25 yrs.. have a place there now as well
    I surfed Topsail / Surf City in early March. My first trip there.

Impressed.

Off-season, and several owners getting the rentals prepped for the summer hordes. People easy to talk with, hang out with. Honestly the waves were really decent, esp the south side of that pier. I don't know if that's the norm (probably not, don't anyone go there it sucks dead moose.....was that ok, guys?).

I just liked the area, from Surf City down through 'the island.' Would have liked to explore the off-road zones in my truck, and Ft Fisher & the stuff south of that, but ran out of the most precious currency of all: time.

If you are worried about the school system, Hoggard is the public high school in southeastern nc, regardless of any school rivalry. Hoggard and New Hanovers Lyceum academy produce the most and best college bound students, but Hoggard draws students from friendlier neighborhoods

We have lived in the area just about 8 months. We are actually in Leland, (due to housing availability w/ a quick job transfer) but hope to get closer to either island. Wilmington is cool in that if you live centrally in Wilmington, CB/Kure and Wrightsville are about the same distance. Wrightsville can get crowded and has leash laws. Kure has free parking.

If you ride a longboard the Wrightsville Beach Longboard Association is a cool group of folks. Water got to be skinnable by May. Never had a bad vibe in the water. A ton of surf shops and a few good board builders are in the area.

But, I will say that it is already getting crazy on the weekends at WB and to a degree CB...

I grew up in the Cocoa Beach area, so, crowds in the water are nothing new. But cramming a gazillion people through that little 2 lane bridge can test someones patience.

Also a CB local, its a great place to be and you will meet enough people soon enough to get parking down where its not insane. The schools are alright but as with any city there will be better areas than others. Crime is nominal and less than average for its size, but you really cant beat the climate 70+ in december is always great.

Images
    CB is nuts this weekend, as we speak...but parking isn't even an issue if you live here because locals get parking stickers, good for all meters and city lots. of course, that always seemed a little redundant to me, because one of the best things about CB is that you can go days without ever getting into your car - most things here are easier to get to by bike.

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    but Hoggard draws students from friendlier neighborhoods

No need to sugar-coat what you really mean, everyone knows Hoggard gets preference with school districting. It's somewhat by design that it's predominantly white and upper middle class--hell the school was built to accommodate the white flight out of downtown in the late 60's through the 70's. So, let's drop the "friendlier neighborhood" euphemism.

Not to mention, there are plenty of "friendly" neighborhoods downtown, close to downtown and around mid-town. However, some may not consider them as such because they are close to "not-so-friendly" (read: lower on the socio-economic scale and more ethnically diverse) neighborhoods and you might see some "not-so-friendly" person walking down your sidewalk who might make you feel uneasy because they don't look like you. Oh, the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    No need to sugar-coat what you really mean, everyone knows Hoggard gets preference with school districting. It's somewhat by design that it's predominantly white and upper middle class--hell the school was built to accommodate the white flight out of downtown in the late 60's through the 70's. So, let's drop the "friendlier neighborhood" euphemism.

Not to mention, there are plenty of "friendly" neighborhoods downtown, close to downtown and around mid-town. However, some may not consider them as such because they are close to "not-so-friendly" (read: lower on the socio-economic scale and more ethnically diverse) neighborhoods and you might see some "not-so-friendly" person walking down your sidewalk who might make you feel uneasy because they don't look like you. Oh, the horror!
    Sorry didn't mean to bash anybody like that, but Hanover draws from neighborhoods where crime rates are higher, but they also draw from neighborhoods very high up on the economic scale with (would move there but moving away from the beach=no bueno). Sorry to "sugar-coat" it like that, but I found this map to avoid any euphemisms or feelings. http://spotcrime.com/nc/wilmington
    But this only shows crime rates, regardless there still are some BEAUTIFUL homes downtown that I would love to live in if it didn't mean a longer drive to the beach.