LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Workout + Surfing

    Just wondering everyone's workout regimen with regard to their surfing. Personally, I try and get in the gym five times a week, working strength, cardio, and core (as much as I can fit in). I know having a bigger chest is not necessarily the ideal feature for surfing, but can't see anything wrong with the other primary muscles. Any advice, experience, or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cardio + strength training e.g. plyometrics has made me feel stronger and fitter in my 30s then all through my 20s. Then again it probably helps that my diet consist of more than mountain dew and cigarettes now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    87
    Really the only exercise you need to do is bench.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    Really the only exercise you need to do is bench.
    The only time you use your chest is when pop up and duck dive. You definitely use your shoulders, triceps, and back way more when paddling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    sea
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by surfbum21 View Post
    The only time you use your chest is when pop up and duck dive. You definitely use your shoulders, triceps, and back way more when paddling.
    please tell me how benchpressing helps you duckdive a 16oz board?seriously this is some intriguing shyt.does the 10yr old jack robinson bench more than you?how about little old skinny rusty long aka speghetti arms.then again,the waves they surf are tiny compared to the paddle in 23footers we get here on the ec

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ocmd- Los Angeles
    Posts
    154
    I do strength training 4 days a week. Hiit cardio 1 day a week. My sessions are twice as long as before I started, I have a stronger paddle now also so I can get into mushy waves, and make late drops better. Diet is as equally important.
    Last edited by wesman944; May 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #7
    I'm pretty sure he is saying not to bench if you read a little harder...

    My regimen: Surf when there's waves. Drink beer when it's flat

    Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    please tell me how benchpressing helps you duckdive a 16oz board?seriously this is some intriguing shyt.does the 10yr old jack robinson bench more than you?how about little old skinny rusty long aka speghetti arms.then again,the waves they surf are tiny compared to the paddle in 23footers we get here on the ec

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is saying not to bench if you read a little harder...

    My regimen: Surf when there's waves. Drink beer when it's flat
    thank you for understanding haha.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,610
    Images
    1
    we should do a 'bench off' to see who is the better surfer... undoubably NJShredMachine would win... or would that new BustingAirs guy??

    just paddle...paddle... and do some more paddling... it should help!

  10. #10
    Yoga is pretty ideal. Balance, flexibility, core strength, breathing.