LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Workout + Surfing

Just wondering everyone's workout regimen with regard to their surfing. Personally, I try and get in the gym five times a week, working strength, cardio, and core (as much as I can fit in). I know having a bigger chest is not necessarily the ideal feature for surfing, but can't see anything wrong with the other primary muscles. Any advice, experience, or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Cardio + strength training e.g. plyometrics has made me feel stronger and fitter in my 30s then all through my 20s. Then again it probably helps that my diet consist of more than mountain dew and cigarettes now.

Really the only exercise you need to do is bench.

Images
    we should do a 'bench off' to see who is the better surfer... undoubably NJShredMachine would win... or would that new BustingAirs guy??

just paddle...paddle... and do some more paddling... it should help!

Yoga is pretty ideal. Balance, flexibility, core strength, breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    Really the only exercise you need to do is bench.
    The only time you use your chest is when pop up and duck dive. You definitely use your shoulders, triceps, and back way more when paddling.

hitting the gym 5x a week,god surfing really went to shyt!!

what happened to the days of walking down the boardwalk drunk talking shyt to guidos and pollox and causing car accidents with a drunken stupor?oh im a surfer,i dont smoke drink sleep eat,i hit the gym 6x a day,go tanning,laundry and back to the gym.i thought that was only on television.maybe you guys should take some surfing lessons from the situation

Quote Originally Posted by surfbum21 View Post
    The only time you use your chest is when pop up and duck dive. You definitely use your shoulders, triceps, and back way more when paddling.
    please tell me how benchpressing helps you duckdive a 16oz board?seriously this is some intriguing shyt.does the 10yr old jack robinson bench more than you?how about little old skinny rusty long aka speghetti arms.then again,the waves they surf are tiny compared to the paddle in 23footers we get here on the ec

I do strength training 4 days a week. Hiit cardio 1 day a week. My sessions are twice as long as before I started, I have a stronger paddle now also so I can get into mushy waves, and make late drops better. Diet is as equally important.
    Last edited by wesman944; May 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

combine strength training 3x a week split to hit the whole body with at least two other days of something - preferably surfing, but if not surfing any kind of interval training like hiit as wesman said. basically anything but long boring cardio. ill do windsprints, plyo's, stuff like that. but if theres surf, the gym takes a backseat. surf is always #1 priority. i surf way better now and feel more confident in the water than i ever did in my 20's. im 32