LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Do Crossfit.

Certified personal trainer here. I do full body circuit training 3 days a week. It is important to strive for balance between all muscle groups as imbalance puts you at an increased risk for injury. As a rule of thumb your back should be stronger than your chest. When your chest is stronger than your back your shoulders become rounded and you are at an increased risk for shoulder impingement and rotator cuff injuries (these will keep you out of the water and are a pain to rehab). Legs and core should also be a priority as they are the most important muscles for balance and you don't want to be that guy with a big upper body and scrawny legs. I do a lot of box jumps and deadlifts. I also do single leg squats, bulgarian split squats, and pistol squats to promote balance between legs. Shoulders are obviously important. Focus more on the rear deltoids and rotator cuff muscles to help prevent rounding. The front of your shoulders get worked enough with chest exercises and don't need to be isolated as much the rear.

I try to swim or do yoga on the days I don't lift if there is no surf. Of course surfing generally takes priority for me as well. If I surf I will readjust the days that I lift during the week. TRX is awesome too if you have access to it.

Push ups, Sit ups, Pull Ups, Squats (no weights), Yoga, Running, Surfing. I hate gyms and pumping iron, just boring to me. I think next winter I'm going to incorporate some distance swimming in the pool to keep the paddling muscles up.

I hit the Bally's where everyone can watch me bench 4 stacks. They know it's me when I roll up in the fastest car on the block like vin diesel. I want everyone to see how jacked and tan I am.

For this subject, I prefer to work the f**k out of the FORUM SEARCH TOOL.

The Dane Reynolds' workout plan.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Do Crossfit.
    Agreed.
    Google Laird Hamilton workouts for his cross-fit routines.

For years, I used to hit the gym and weights 3-4 times a week with running 3-6 miles on the other days. Since I added swimming and now surfing, I get to the gym maybe once a week. I'd rather be outside. I'm still doing my runs to which I've added 8-10 sets of push-ups along the way. If there's a pull-up bar around, like at a nearby school, I'll add that in as well.

I'm pretty sure he is saying not to bench if you read a little harder...

My regimen: Surf when there's waves. Drink beer when it's flat

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    please tell me how benchpressing helps you duckdive a 16oz board?seriously this is some intriguing shyt.does the 10yr old jack robinson bench more than you?how about little old skinny rusty long aka speghetti arms.then again,the waves they surf are tiny compared to the paddle in 23footers we get here on the ec

Quote Originally Posted by mike228 View Post
    Certified personal trainer here. I do full body circuit training 3 days a week. It is important to strive for balance between all muscle groups as imbalance puts you at an increased risk for injury. Legs and core should also be a priority as they are the most important muscles for balance and you don't want to be that guy with a big upper body and scrawny legs.

I also do single leg squats, bulgarian split squats, and pistol squats to promote balance between legs.

The Vulgarian split squat thing. Works for me.