LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    http://mercatus.org/sites/default/fi...20Pensions.pdf, page 25 elaborates the dismal condition of the promise of a pension . Prediction, NJ teachers riot in Trenton within 4 years.

christie would get my vote. NJAZ i liked your post a few pages back. private education is def the way to go. anytime big unions and government increase, quality and economic constriction ensues. teacher unions and unions in general counter core economics, in a way where maket demand and competition take the back burner to protect employees - ass backwards. unions and the public sector are too prominent and theyre like an economic disease in an ever competitive global world market/globalized world economy. co$tly.

fyi - i am a government worker and see it from the inside. no bias here. the truth hurts.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    christie would get my vote. NJAZ i liked your post a few pages back. private education is def the way to go. anytime big unions and government increase, quality and economic constriction ensues. teacher unions and unions in general counter core economics, in a way where maket demand and competition take the back burner to protect employees - ass backwards. unions and the public sector are too prominent and theyre like an economic disease in an ever competitive global world market/globalized world economy. co$tly.

fyi - i am a government worker and see it from the inside. no bias here. the truth hurts.
    Right... public money going to private institutions is the way to go! LOL your whole argument is so flawed it's not even worth dissecting. You must enjoy public dollars being used for religious private schools too. Better yet, how about that charter school chef getting a 24k raise due to intimate relations with upper admin? Right!!! Privately run schools need more public funds! Imbecile.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuldge View Post
    Right... public money going to private institutions is the way to go! LOL your whole argument is so flawed it's not even worth dissecting. You must enjoy public dollars being used for religious private schools too. Better yet, how about that charter school chef getting a 24k raise due to intimate relations with upper admin? Right!!! Privately run schools need more public funds! Imbecile.
    I think you're misunderstanding a bit. No one is suggesting public money be spent on private anything. My argument is that people should be given moer options when it comes to education. In order to do this, one must first free up some of the money. My god, I am taxed nearly 30% of my income and I don't make that much. I feel I should have the option to spend the portion allocated for public schools on a school of my choosing if I see it fit. So the argument is really to give the government less of a say in how one spends their money, not to use public money to spend on private organizations.

Sorry if I sound like a ****, I am not intending to come off that way.

I give Christie a B...I would have given him an A but he didn't endorse my boy Ron Paul.

If he's doing stuff like this, I'll make sure he doesn't get any votes.
    http://nj1015.com/tags/hydrofracking-waste-ban/

thanks for helping there archy with big bulges comment i didnt even know where to start hahah. im not trying to sounds like a prick either, im just referring to the larger systems... not really individual apples within the basket. it is becoming economically unsustainable. broad, core apects of economics... the taxes/privatelly earned money are having trouble supporting all the other crap. enoughs enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    curl... everybody deserves to be paid, have health insurance, retirement accounts... and a decent standard of living. But only if they do a good job at whatever it is they do. If they don't, they should be fired. And we shouldn't need the governor to tell us that.

New Jersey's public education system is one of the finest in the country, and our educators deserve to be paid on a similar scale.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything, except Christie and other politicians making critical decisions about educational policy with no IDEA of what works in education. All of these mandates cost money, yet funding increases can't even keep up with inflation and other increased costs.

And my view of teachers' unions is this... the NJEA has outlived it's purpose. Local school districts with their own unions are the way to go, and should function as a bargaining unit with the local board of education at the community level.

But, curl... your opinions and mine really don't count, when it comes right down to it, do they?
    This is definitely a tough area and politics make it more difficult. I do think teachers deserve good pay and a decent standard of living. Their pay should be based on student performance. Since NJ is rated highly, they should be paid more than other areas the don't perform as well.

I do disagree with pensions though. My tax dollars are paying for pensions. That is absurd. They should have a 401 K that they contribute their own pay into and it can be matched up to a certain percent. It should be just like the private sector and that is being generous since my salary/401k isn't paid by taxpayers.

I also think tenure can be bad and good. I don't like when tenure prevents people from being fired for poor performance. I do like tenure though for keeping older teachers around that are performing instead of just bringing in the new blood.

I also think that they should contribute a small percentage to healthcare just like the private sector.

The main issue is the pensions and paying people forever. Cops are the biggest culprit and can retire at such a young age. Then, they can collect a pension and also get another government job. They can then get two pensions. This is a joke. Stop pensions and setup a 401K that they pay into. This will help NJ's runaway spending. Otherwise, taxes will never come down. I do think we need to honor existing pensions because they were promised and that was the understanding. New hires shouldn't get a pension (cops, teachers, etc.)

It always baffles me that cops in really nice towns get huge salaries. I'm talking patrolmen here. Then, the cops in Camden and Newark make peanuts. That doesn't make sense at all. Cops in these nice towns take so much out of the local town budget when the resources could be shared across town. These also work the system more than criminals (double overtime, racking up sick time then get paid for it.). It's a joke.

Honoring existing teachers pensions will cost the state 12 bil plus in a few years and with 30 bil budget thats a train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by barrels4liam View Post

I do disagree with pensions though. My tax dollars are paying for pensions. That is absurd. They should have a 401 K that they contribute their own pay into and it can be matched up to a certain percent. It should be just like the private sector and that is being generous since my salary/401k isn't paid by taxpayers.

I also think tenure can be bad and good. I don't like when tenure prevents people from being fired for poor performance. I do like tenure though for keeping older teachers around that are performing instead of just bringing in the new blood.

I also think that they should contribute a small percentage to healthcare just like the private sector.
    I know this is mostly a Jersey thread. I teach in NC. We pay 6 percent into retirement and the state puts in 5 percent. I also have a non matched 401k, We do pay for part of our health care benefits. They are scrapping tenure here. I made more in private sector at 25 than I do now at 49. I like what I do but it is starting to get a little tough to "really" like it. No pay raise in 5 years... A lot more students per teacher...summers off are cool but I coach a fall sport so I'm back in the grind in Mid-August.

Quote Originally Posted by curl View Post
    Honoring existing teachers pensions will cost the state 12 bil plus in a few years and with 30 bil budget thats a train wreck.
    Yes it is. And who do you blame... teachers or politicians?